Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AIR 1142N wireless speed.

Hello all.

Just got Cisco AIR 1142N, configured it with two ssids on 2.4 Mhz interface. 5.0 is shutdown. As I know (probably I am wrong) wireless speed with "n" mode devices must be at least 150 Mbps, but I get only half of that- 72 Mbps. Where could be a problem?

Tested it with notebooks with Broadcom 4313 adapter.

I have read some people face problem with 54 Mbps speed, but they just have wrong authentication.

Be glad for any advice!

and here is a bit of my conf.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your seeing actual 72mbps speeds, then that is correct. If your looking at a device connection speed, then 144mbps is the max you will see on the 2.4ghz and half of that is your max throughput you might see. If your not seeing 144mbps and your next to the AP, then test with a different wireless card and see. Maybe update your driver also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

It wouldn't be caused by mutlipel SSID, as the AP will only talk to one client at a time.

Take a look at the specs for the chipset in the laptop.  you need to look at how many spacial streams it can handle, as well as how many antenna leeds are connected.

if you are getting better than 54Mbps, you are getting N rates, but limitations to the chipset can keep you from achieving the maximums for the frequency.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Make sure you are using either one of the following:

1.  OPEN authentication; or

2.  WPA2/PSK

leolaohoo

Yes, I'm using this authentication, as it is in my config, exactly this:

dot11 ssid guest

vlan 5

authentication open

authentication key-management wpa version 2

mbssid guest-mode dtim-period 1

wpa-psk ascii 7 *****

encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If your seeing actual 72mbps speeds, then that is correct. If your looking at a device connection speed, then 144mbps is the max you will see on the 2.4ghz and half of that is your max throughput you might see. If your not seeing 144mbps and your next to the AP, then test with a different wireless card and see. Maybe update your driver also.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Maybe I messed up a bit.

I'm looking in 'Status' of wireless connection in Win7, where it tells me that 'speed' is 72 Mbps.

And when I looked on the ssid in wi-fi ananlyzer app (inssider) it tells that Max Rate is 144. So maybe it is really all fine.

And yes, I am sitting next to the AP.

Can you suggest any tests to check connection speed?

Thanks for reply.

in Windows 7:

Right Click on the Wireless Bars in the tool tray

Open Network Sharing Center

Right hand side, you will see your internet connect, click on it

You will see your PHY rate there

hope this help

Please rate helpful post!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

This is what I get, never better speed, sometimes 64.

Can it be because of two ssids?...stupid idea though.

It wouldn't be caused by mutlipel SSID, as the AP will only talk to one client at a time.

Take a look at the specs for the chipset in the laptop.  you need to look at how many spacial streams it can handle, as well as how many antenna leeds are connected.

if you are getting better than 54Mbps, you are getting N rates, but limitations to the chipset can keep you from achieving the maximums for the frequency.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Yeah..I think this is the problem.

My wi-fi adapter in notebooks is Broadcom 4313b/g/n and this is what I find about it..

Broadcom 4313GN 802.11b/g/n
WiFi Adapter
Integrated support for 802.11 b, g, and n
1 transmit, 1 receive antenna
Up to 72 mbps data rate

Very sad.

Thanks everyone for the help and detailed responses:)

fbarboza
Level 4
Level 4

To get N speeds make sure that you have WPA version 2 with AES only, also remmber that wireless is a shared medium and half duplex.

When you are chcekcing on the speeds how many wireless clients are connected to the same AP at the same time?

Yes, authentication is correct (as I said before:) )

I think, sadly I'm not understand fully about 'shared medium and half duplex' bit.

Not much, about 35-40 clients.

Hey there ..

Wireless is like a HUB. Only one device can talk on channel at a time, with this fact, its half duplex. Make sense?

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Honestly, not much sense to me:)

I'm really a newbie to this, still can't understand why I get half of possible speed.

Sorry for kinda dumbness.

Not much, about 35-40 clients.

What kind of traffic?  Email?  Web?  Video?

What kind of uplink do you have?  10/100/1000Mbps?

Half are mobile devices, half business notebooks with all kind of traffic, internet\email most, video less, but no VoIP.

Does it make any difference?

AP is connected to 1000Mbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card