cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 1250 IPv6

Matt Wilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all. Does the Cisco AIR-AP1252AG-N-K9 running IOS Release 15.2.2-JA1 support IPv6?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am trying (and failing) to find the release note for the WLC when IPv6 addressing became supported on the interfaces; allowing pure IPv6 CAPWAP tunnels. I seem to remember it came late in our campus deployment at a point when we had moved on from the AP1250. There is a good possibility that it never gained that feature.

Regarding the NTP, just have the 887 run as a time source. Peer to your ISP on IPv6 and allow connections on both v4/6 ...you'd be half way there ;)

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi there,

Yes. these were the model of AP we were using for an IPv6 deployment on a university campus 6 years ago.

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb. I cannot find any commands that reference IPv6. Am I missing something? I've attached a dump of all the commands available in configuration mode.

Matt.

Hi Matt,

In our deployment we had the APs running in lightweight mode assoctiated to an WLC running over an IPv4-only subnet. All the v4-v6 client traffic was encapsualted back to the WLC and then to the core.

Not having a 1250 to play around with now, is there not IPv6 commands under the interface sub-command?

I assume you are running the c1250-k9w7-tar.152-2.JA1.tar  image?

cheers,

Seb.

Thanks Seb. Unfortunately, WLCs are out for me (too expensive) so I'm stuck running them in autonomous mode. This AP is an LAP running an autonomous IOS. A sh ver gives:

System image file is "flash:/c1250-k9w7-mx.152-2.JA1/c1250-k9w7-xx.152-2.JA1"

The Cisco software site says that this is the latest IOS released for this AP (30/01/2013) and I can't see them not including IPv6 support in it. I can't see any IPv6 commands on any of the interfaces, BVI1 or the Do0 or Do1. I've attached another text file to save cluttering up the post with endless lines of code.

Matt.

Aside from maybe configuring an IPv6 address on the BVI1 interface, which commands are you after?

Assuming the default gateway (10.1.1.100) is configured dual-stack, the AP1250 will just forward the frames between the gateway and clients on the air, totally oblivious to the IP protocol contained in the frames.

I was mainly going to set IPv6-EUI-64 addresses and perhaps use it as DHCPv6 server for its VLAN. I've just really started to get into IPv6 as my new ISP offers full IPv6 connectivity and I have been assigned a static /56 prefix. I was mainly interested in seeing what the AP can do.

You will get a much richer IPv6 feature-set on a Cisco router than you would on an AP, especially one which has been EOL'd.

What device does the 10.1.1.100 SVI reside on?

10.1.1.100 is actually a pfSense firewall on a computer. It interfaces with my ISP supplied TG-789v2 router. My work in progress is to get my C887VAM as the gateway with full IPv6 connectivity with a ZBPF firewall. 

I was thinking that there might be a command that would unlock all the IPv6 stuff like "ipv6 unicast-routing"does on a router.

Both the pfSense and 887 are both excellent devices for IPv6 configuration.

Regarding the AP, at its most basic it is just a bridge between different mediums, there is nothing much to unlock.

cheers,

Seb.

OK, so there is no way to assign an IPv6 address on the interfaces? I was hoping to at least a global unicast address on the BVI1 interface mainly for console access. I also wanted to use my ISP's IPv6 NTP servers for time synchronisation.

I am trying (and failing) to find the release note for the WLC when IPv6 addressing became supported on the interfaces; allowing pure IPv6 CAPWAP tunnels. I seem to remember it came late in our campus deployment at a point when we had moved on from the AP1250. There is a good possibility that it never gained that feature.

Regarding the NTP, just have the 887 run as a time source. Peer to your ISP on IPv6 and allow connections on both v4/6 ...you'd be half way there ;)

I also did a fairly extensive search before posting here but came up with nothing. I considered using the 887 as a time server but for now, using the TG-789, I have to go external and use the ISP's NTP server. I'll have another look in the morning and see if I can find anything on IPv6 for this AP. At the moment it seems that it is not an option. Thanks again for your help. I'll post back here when I do find a solution.

Matt.

My AIR-LAP1142N-N-K9 is fully IPv6 compatible. It is using IOS 15.3(3)JD9. I can still find no reference on the interwebs re the AP1250 and IPv6. I tried another AP1250 that I had stashed away in a cupboard and same result. I'll stick to the AP1142 for now.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: