Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Aironet 3502i Wireless Access Point AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9

humph
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I've just recently won at auction 5 Cisco Aironet 3502i Wireless Access Point AIR-CAP3502I-A-K9. I have tried so hard to get any information about them with regard to getting them back to "factory mode" with no luck. They keep booting up with the promonent business which they were hired out to and won't let me console into them with the Cisco usb console cable I purchased. Can anyone please direct me to somewhere where I can get info to some how get them back to factory so can use them. I have rang the company that owned them , as they still had their stickers on them, 3 times. Each time they say some one will call you back from the technical department, but never do. I tried Cisco help, but the products are still licenced to "them" so I cannot get Cisco help either. I would appreciate any help or direction. Thanks in advance, Humph.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Humph,

Glad to assist you on this matter. Here is what we did to fix your issue.

1. console session, speed set to 9600

2. Loaded autonomous image using mode button method

https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/ 

3. Apply simple autonomous AP config like below

conf t
hostname <AP_HOSTNAME>
!
dot11 ssid <SSID_NAME>
authentication open
authentication key-management wpa version 2
guest-mode
wpa-psk ascii <SSID_PASSWORD>
!
interface Dot11Radio0
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
ssid <SSID_NAME>
no shutdown
!
interface Dot11Radio1
channel width 40-above
encryption mode ciphers aes-ccm
ssid <SSID_NAME>
no shutdown
!
interface BVI1
ip address dhcp
!
end
write memory

If you need any assistance in future, pls post a thread here in this forum.

HTH

Rasika

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Typically these AP managed via a WLC, so AP cannot configured independently. Unless you got them with Autonomous mode images. If you see these AP LED flashing different colors once boot, it indicate that AP is looking for a WLC to register.

Here is some information about those two modes & how you convert

https://mrncciew.com/2012/10/20/lightweight-to-autonomous-conversion/ 

https://mrncciew.com/2013/12/13/ap-conversion-using-mode-button/ 

Challenge is you need those autonomous images to use AP standalone may not able to download from cisco.com unless you have support contract with cisco.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all helpful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

You are right, I went to download and it came up with the warning below. "Service contract Required".

And I'm not able to get one becuause these units are still registered with the previous owner. So much for looking after the planet etc, if this sort of thing is going on all over the world, where small guys like me try and buy second hand Cisco stuff but cannot use them, then the products are destined to land fill. Where'as if Cisco allowed the small guys to fix these up and use them, without support offcourse, these sort of items would probably last for years.

Btw you mentioned the unit might be looking for a WLC, what's that? if I try and buy one of them will that perhaps fix my problems?

Humph

Hi Humph,

"Btw you mentioned the unit might be looking for a WLC, what's that? if I try and buy one of them will that perhaps fix my problems?"

Yes, you can look for "Cisco-AIR-CT2504-5-K9" on ebay or other online bargain markets & you should be able to get one for a reasonable price.

Again, you may have to learn bit more of how to configuring those in order to get it done. It is always learning opportunity.

I am happy to help go through with you what is required  through a remote session (I sent you a message on that) 

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all helpful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

I had a look at Cisco-AIR-CT2504-5-K9, the cheapest I saw was around AU$ 350. If I found the money for one of these am I still going to have the problem of not being able to download the software required from Cisco? or does that unit not require the downloads.

I won this with the AP units ->Cisco Router CISCO1841 V05, but after reading about it, it didn't mention anything about wireless AP units. I might see if some one might want to swap it for a Cisco-AIR-CT2504-5-K9, or swap and some money.

Humph. 

Yes, that will do the job, but these 5508 will be bit noisy and if you want to use it in home lab environment, be aware of that.

Again check with seller, what OS version comes with that and if possible get it with version 8.5.x software in it.

HTH

Rasika

Yeah that will work. They will come with some software pre-installed and that software will automatically pushed to the accesspoints. You do require a working DHCP network and you need to configure the controller first. Then the accesspoint will download the software from the controller and update/downgrade to it.

You could convert them to standalone mode, which normally requires a service contract to download the image. But if you know google and the autonomous file name...

Before purchasing any more hardware let us know how you intend to use these 5 APs. Is it for your home lab or any office deployment ?

How do you plan to power these APs? Do you have PoE switch or planning to power them using power adapters.

If you go with a WLC, 2504 would be simpler (got copper interfaces,etc). 5508 only got SFP interfaces, if you want to connect to a switch using copper cable, then you may required copper SFP module.

Keep these notes in your mind before further investing your money.

HTH

Rasika

I am wanting to use them at home, If could do that without a controler then it would be faboulas.

I bought a Cisco switch which has PoE.

You lost me with the copper wire with the older model controller. I thought I saw ethernet ports on those units

Humph

pieterh
VIP
VIP

did you get any console output when booting the AP? 

if not then your usb-adapter setup is faulty, look inti this first.

did you try to factory reset using the procedure below?

there is a small recessed reset button next to the connectors
press this and keep it pressed when powering on

keep it pressed, do not release before the AP led burns red.

This should enable console access using the blue console connector + Cisco console cable + usb-db9 adapter and a terminal-program

Console access should also work with the lightweight image! but hen you'll get stuck of course.

Yes I've tried the the mode button method, the AP changed colours blinked reds, blue then ends up going green. Once green I can see it in my wireless list with a "lock" and the name of the company which owned it as the ssid. I try guessing a password, it goes blue, then after I get the message unable to login incorrect password, it goes green again.

Perhaps if Icould guess the password, I wont have to do anything as my Cisco switch with PoE is powering them up perfectly.

You have to press the mode button the correct amount of time. To long and nothing happens, because it will be considered faulty for that boot.
You would see a message on the console output on when to press and keep go. I think it's about 25 seconds from power on in case you don't have a console cable. If it doesn't work, repeat it with +5 seconds a few times.
You don't yet have a controller, right? If not, then you have an autonomous model, otherwise you wouldn't see an ssid (unless that would work in flexconnect mode, not sure, never tested).

That's right no controller as yet, still bidding on one at Grays Online.

Yes the previous owner was Hillsong, so when I boot them up they end up green then I see the ssid for each one on my wireless list. Just can't login due to thier password.

So autonomous is good is it? I don't need a controller, just console into it and change the password si I can use them at home?

Btw I realised from your post I need software as well as the Cisco USB, I've downloaded putty so I'll google how to use that to console into the AP.

It is interesting and good to learn.  

UPDATE....success I was able to get the cisco USB with PUTTY going and for the first time saw the boot up process of the AP. it has stopped in the user and password section. I've used admin:cisco...admin:admin.......cisco:cisco

but no luck.

I've tried looking here for default aironet password etc, but no luck, any ideas??

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: