cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco AnyConnect loses networks when using Hyper-V External Network Virtual Switch

HoneywellGuy
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am using Cisco AnyConnect on my physical machine to connect to networks within the office and out and about.  I now have a requirement to setup a new Virtual Switch in Hyper-V using an External Network.  However as soon as I select the network card that has the internet connection from within Hyper-V, AnyConnect loses the connection from the dropdown list of available connections.

For example if I am connected to the internet using my wireless network (named: WiFi_Network) I am happy and can browse the web to my hearts content.  The moment I configure my virtual switch to use WiFi_Network AnyConnect can no longer see the network adapter and I am disconnected from the internet.

Is there a way to get both a Virtual Switch configured to use an External network and have Anyconnect working on the same network at the same time?

3 Replies 3

Hi

I´m trying hard to correlate this two things:

"I am using Cisco AnyConnect on my physical machine to connect to networks"

"new Virtual Switch in Hyper-V using an External Network"

What the hack your physical machine is related to your virtual switch and being affected by changes made on the virtual environment?

Can you explain a bit better how things interconnect on your network?

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Hi Flavio and thank you for the response.

Within Hyper-V a Virtual Switch configured to use an External Network is one that is bound to a specific Network Adapter on the Physical Machine.  As Soon as this binding happens all wireless networks will disappear from AnyConnect.

In fact if I bind one of my wired network ports to the the Virtual Switch the same thing happens, the network connection will vanish from AnyConnect.

I am not using a Virtual Machine for AnyConnect, this is all on the Physical Machine.

I think this is the normal behavior because of the use of virtual network adapters. You can (typically) only have one active at a time.
You might want to open a TAC, maybe they can tune/fix this in an updated AnyConnect.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: