cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Channel bonding and OBSS

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

Is there no way to specify in Cisco WLC if I want to Bond up or down or both?  Seems like its both right now and that ends up causing OBSS issues at times. Other vendors allow it and I'm surprised if Cisco still does not have this feature.

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Yes, you can do channel bonding globally individually or per RF Group.
To do it Globally, go to Wireless > 802.11a/n > DCA > Dynamic Channel Assignment Algorithm > Channel Width.
To do this individually, go to Monitor > Access Point Summary > 802.11a/n/ac Radios > Detail.
Go to the right hand side and look at the blue box. Hover the cursor and choose Configure.
RF Channel Assignment > Channel Width.

Thank you Leo, I should have explained better.  I know how to do all that but what I am looking for a way so that I can prevent OBSS issue.  I want to be able to specify to only bond up or down.  So if one AP is 36,44 I don't want another to do 44,36. 

You can't, but DCA (RRM) is actually taking all of this into account when doing the dynamic frequency/power plan, depending on which options you have enabled on the DCA settings page.

Got it thank you for confirming. Hopefully with some heavy fine tuning RRM will make better decisions now. I don't know why Cisco won't add that feature.

Can't exactly say, other than that it's not required based on their DCA algorithm.

In my medium density network I've configured it the following on 5 GHz:
Avoid Foreign AP interference

Enabled

Avoid Cisco AP load

Enabled

Avoid non-802.11a noise

Enabled

Avoid Persistent Non-WiFi Interference

Enabled

And enabled all allowed DCA channels. DCA Channel Sensitivity is on Medium and Channel Width on Best.

TPC is set to TCPv1, with maximum 30, minimum 8 and Power Threshold -66. Channel Aware is enabled.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card