Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Medical-Grade WLAN LAN Campus Architecture

derobbacher
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Cisco-Experts,

our Hospital Top-Management would like to spent millions on renewing the WLAN/LAN-architecture in one of the

biggest hospitals here in Bavaria, were I'm the poor WLAN-Spezialist, who holds everything together.

They would like to have a brand new "Medical-Grade"-WLAN-Environment to empower healthcare.

Sounds great for Manager isn't it ? "Medical-Grade"  Boaaaaaaaah !!

Working already many years with Cisco-Technology, I was not aware of this term "Medical-Grade" and I'm

still unsure what to buy finally from Cisco to achieve this.

So money is there but no ideas how to spent it  meaningful, obviously.

Do You know wether this is or was only a Marketing Gag from Cisco ?

Or can You provide me with more details about this "Medical Grade"-WLAN architecture ?

Thank You for Your information in advance.

Greetings from Frankonia

Wini

8 Replies 8

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't know about the others but when I say "medical-grade wireless" I mean: 

1.  Cover the floor/building/campus with wireless AP that provides a minimum of -65 dBm (or better); 

2.  WiFi RFID ready-to-go (and not just "ready").  This means all I need to do is say "bring it on", the APs are now ready and operational.  All the administrator needs to do is bring the RFID tags;

3.  5.0 Ghz voice-grade and not on 2.4 Ghz. 

NOTE:  When I'm talking about 5.0 Ghz voice-grade this also means that "roaming" of the CoWs are already factored in.  CoWs, after all, don't really use RTP so are as "delicate" as a voice-grade environment. 

There are a lot of questions about "medical-grade wireless".  And the most basic question that needs to be asked/answered are: 

1.  What is the crappiest wireless client?  RFID tags?  Medical equipment that will only support WEP?  What?

2.  Look forward?  Are you planning to use infra-red RFID?  BLE RFID?

The just of it all, this is a long process.  Buying the gear is the easy part.  Answering the questions I've posted is probably the most difficult because this means MONEY.  

Hello Leo,

thank You very much for Your fast answer and explanations.

The key to success with "Medical-Grade" seems to be 5GHz-coverage using Micro- and Macro-cells with FRA-Technology

with new dual 5GHz-APs were possible.

Of course there will be still special old-school Hospital Equipment runnning on 2.4GHz in many corners.

I need to make a rough cost-estimation for this "Medical-Grade"-dream.

Let's assume that we cover an area of roundabout 1000m² with 6 1142-APs today using 5GHz/2.4GHz in a hospital.

Do You have rough estimations on how many additional 2802-WLAN APs are needed to fulfill this request ?

Do we need to double or trible the number to allow Video and Voice over WLAN-communication between doctors, nurses and patients to show a High-Resolution MRI-Scanner-picture right at the bed  on an Apple tablet for example?

Kind regards

Wini

Ok, let's step back.
Define "medical-grade WiFi"? What is/are the crappiest wireless clients you've got?
Next, what is the clients looking (forward) to? Voice- or RFID/Asset tracking grade? How about wandering patient?
6 x 1142 is not "medical-grade WiFi". `tis not even close.

Hello Leo,

thank You for Your answer and estimation.

I would also need some presentation stuff to Show Cisco's ability in Medical-Grade WLAN Architecture.

Do You know, where I can download this Cisco advertisement pCisco Medical Grade WLAN Architecture.JPGicture in PDF-Format ?

Try this LINK or you could try THIS (very old).

Oh no, the project gets started from the wrong end, or as the German saying goes "das Pferd von hinten aufzäumen". :)

First get the requirements. Then based on those (will you want to use RFID, Bluetooth, inventory tracking, Wi-Fi access for the patients/guests, how many clients per room/area, ...) you will start to design a possible layout. For example the Bluetooth and RFID question might decide between 2800 or 4800.

Then there are cool models like the new 1815w, which also act as a mini switch in places where you don't have enough LAN cables: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1815-series-access-points/datasheet-c78-738481.html 

Thank  You for Your Information.

The 1815w is a real nice one.

I'm investigating to integrate it into the Multimedia Cockpit solution we are offering for every patient for

TV/Telephone/PC/Video from SIEMENS Unify.

Patiententerminal.JPG

The Wall Mounting box would contain free space to hide it from Patient and provide WLAN.

Kind regards

Wini

Cool project. I think it's worth doing a POC first.
Would love to read if it will work as expected.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card