cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Mesh, Root Ap (RAP) no Mesh ap (MAP)

lmediavilla
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, I have a problem with a root ap, the switch that was connected is broken so now I want to make it work as a mesh AP, it connects through mesh to the WLC but is all the time registering and de-registering to the WLC, if I change from ROOTAP option to MESHAP it doesn't apply it and I cannot reboot it (it's 10 high).

Can I do something without taking it down from its current location?

kind regards

18 Replies 18

hi Imediavilla,

sorry for repeating the question. if the AP is not able to associate to the WLC, how come you are able to change the AP mode throught WCS ? you can configure mesh AP's through WCS only if they are associated to WLC, right  ?

also how are you configuring it ? are you going to Monitor > access points > configure ?

regards

Joe

Hi

I can do it through the wlc but the ap exists the wlc before it applyes the config

With the WCS I clic apply to a template and it fails a lot  of times until randomly one time it works (enough to have another AP in service)

And on the WLC I change it (or I try) on the menu up -> wireless -> select the ap name -> click on mesh -> ap role change it to Mesh and Apply up on the right.

kind regards

Thanks. 7.0.240 is pretty new... so that means i think it will still be the case with newer codes or 5508 also... has anybody tested this ? my customer has aruba setup and they are experiencing issue where even if RAP loses connectivity to controller (but power is UP) , it still works as RAP and allows  MAPs' to associate to it resulting in traffic blackhole...  is it the same in Cisco also ? from this post, it looks like thats the case, also in this case there is no way to recover the AP other than climbing up the light poles ?

regards

Joe

7.0.240 is the latest for 4404 there will be no more firmwares.

Sadly I needed a 10meter forklift to take the ap so I am very happy to have been able to change the role to Mesh with the WCS. And I've had this problem twice with two root ap in different times, the old fiber to Ethernet device broke on both aps.

kind regards

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card