cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Prime NCS + Location Tracking

Ben Skinner
Level 1
Level 1

I havent been able to find a straight answer in regards to using NCS and location tracking for RFID and wireless clients.

We currently have a 5508 with 3502i AP's

We would like to add some location based tracking. I understand that WCS will support it, but we would like to move to the new NCS so we can also manage our switches with in 1 appliance (and save on cost).

Can anyone tell me what I need to get this going?

Cheers

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NCS can be seen like WCS 8.0, it supports everything WCS was supporting and more.

Current NCS 1.0 can only monitor switches and use them for location tracking. However, future NCS versions will be able to more fully manage switches and future NCS versions are targeted to become a merge between WCS and LMS.

View solution in original post

NCS is WCS on steroids. I would only be concerned with bugs at this point on the new code. NCS by itself alone will allow you to track only one device at a time. Add the MSE (mobility solutions engine) with context aware licensing to track many tags in real time as well as cleanair reports.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

NCS can be seen like WCS 8.0, it supports everything WCS was supporting and more.

Current NCS 1.0 can only monitor switches and use them for location tracking. However, future NCS versions will be able to more fully manage switches and future NCS versions are targeted to become a merge between WCS and LMS.

NCS is WCS on steroids. I would only be concerned with bugs at this point on the new code. NCS by itself alone will allow you to track only one device at a time. Add the MSE (mobility solutions engine) with context aware licensing to track many tags in real time as well as cleanair reports.

Ben Skinner
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks for that guys. Will get a demo of it and have a nice little play with it.

Cheers

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: