Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco Wireless and Apple TV

dpatkins
Level 1
Level 1

Good day,

We are trying to set up Apple TV on our 802.1x SSID.  So far, we have input authentication as well as loaded two certificates from our Cisco ACS.  I believe this did not need to be done.

Is there a way we can configure APPLE TV on our wireless network?  And is there a Guide that I can follow to get this done?  I have seen many documents but I have not seen that one that says, "do it this way, it works".

Thank you

Dwane

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Honestly, I would go with a PSK vs .1x for the Apple TV.  I don't think the A-TV supports .1x in a user friendley format.

I have mine setup as PSK and it joins and I can stream to it just fine.  The one thing to be aware of, is how the A-TV works WRT multicast especially if you are using different VLANs

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

What wlc are you using? The real low end wlcs don't support multicast the way apple needs it.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Honestly, I would go with a PSK vs .1x for the Apple TV.  I don't think the A-TV supports .1x in a user friendley format.

I have mine setup as PSK and it joins and I can stream to it just fine.  The one thing to be aware of, is how the A-TV works WRT multicast especially if you are using different VLANs

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Hi Dwane,

This is how I did this in my environment with WLC 7.4.x code.

http://mrncciew.com/2013/03/27/configuring-mdns-on-wlc-7-4/

As steve pointed, it did not support WPA2/AES Enterprise (at least sometime back) & I used a wired connectivity to Apple TV, since my user wirless is 802.1x. This worked fine even they (Apple TV & clients) are sitting on different vlan

This is the latest (7.5.x) Apple TV deployment guide in case if you are on this code.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/bonjour/7.5/Bonjour_Gateway_Phase-2_WLC_software_release_7.5.html

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I've configure Apple TV with 802.1X, we use PEAP. Works fine with no issues. On the Apple TV you need to load the cert root and intermediate for who ever signed your cert on the radius server. In our case it was entrust. To see if it working, just check your Apple TV network settings make sure you have an IP address. Also you can quickly tell by seeing if the apple tv has the menu items up ..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Thank you all for your quick response.  We went entirely with a seperate SSID with WPA2/PSK.  It was a quick set up and works good. 

Have a great day.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card