Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC 5520 - tagging traffic

MiroslavSestak
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I got WLC 5520 and around 1000 APs connected to it in local mode.

VLAN 1021 - AP Management

VLAN 100 - Guest Internet Access

VLAN 200 - Telephones

On all switches I have added VLAN100, VLAN1021, and VLAN200.
Ports where I got AP-s are access 1021.

Do I really need to have all other VLAN's added to each switch?

How does traffic tagging works, are they tagged on AP, or WLC?

If I have e.g. VLAN 300 trunk with WLC, but I do not have VLAN300 on each switch... will traffic that connects to SSID for VLAN300 be in VLAN 300 normal?

Thanks

5 Replies 5

marce1000
VIP
VIP

>Do I really need to have all other VLAN's added to each switch?

No

>How does traffic tagging works, are they tagged on AP, or WLC?

There is no tagging since the traffic is handled by the CAPWAP protocol.

>If I have e.g. VLAN 300 trunk with WLC, but I do not have VLAN300 on each switch... will traffic that connects to SSID for VLAN300 be in VLAN 300 normal?

Actually the question is 'misty' , traffic will be forwarded to vlan300 by the controller, the rest depends on the design of the Intanet network.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

To add to marce1000 answer, this is correct if they run in AP Mode "local". If you run them in Flexconnect, this can change, depending on the Flexconnect mode you have chosen.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Just to add, your design is local mode, so the tagging is done at the controller. AP will be on an access vlan 1021, the WLC will be trunked allowing the management vlan and any other wireless vlans defined on the 5520 interfaces. You don’t need to include any vlans that is not configured on the controller itself.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So do I need to have VLAN 200 for telephones on all my switches where I got APs?

Or is it enough to have it only on controller?

If that is correct, basically I only need to have 1021, which works as tunnel to controller and good to go?

No, only on the switch that the controller is connected to.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: