Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC config template

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I am working on a client network where we will be installing around 180 WLCs. I have already installed 15 WLCs. All these WLCs were added to Cisco Prime Infrastructure 1.3 and synced their config.

Most of the configuration on these WLCs remain same.

I was wondering, is there a way to create a CLI command template from the Cisco WLCs which are already deployed and use this CLI template on Cisco Prime?

Is there a way via which I can capture all the Commands that were configured on the WLC CLI?

Thanks,

CJ

10 Replies 10

Here is the link to all CLI command reference for 5508

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/ps10315/prod_command_reference_list.html

HTH

Rasika

***** pls rate all useful responses *****

You can go in and discover the templates from the WLC.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Hi Rasika,

Thanks for quick response. I did go through the CLI Command reference Guide and I have created a template, upto some extent. Even though its a time consuming process, I can create complete template.

But, I was curious, whether Cisco Prime or WLC has any CLI or GUI option to show all the configuration that has been done on the Controller (All CLI Commands)?

My idea here is to make the WLC deployment process automated with minimal intervention/changes.

I've created the below CLI template on Cisco Prime and push it to the new WLCs as and when they will be added to Prime.

Thanks,

CJ

Hi CJ,

I believe you want to have standard configuration across your controllers. You should have very basic configuration via initial script & then download a template configuration on to it would be the easiest way.

For a template configuration, if you take a backup of currently configured controller & then grouping the configuration (like interface, wlan, acl, band specific) it would be easy to understand.You should have documented framework for the consistent WLAN IDs, AP group names, Interface groups, features you want to enable.

Only few parameters you need to change when configuring a particular site WLC. few of them are

1. Interface IP address

2. Mobility configuration

3. System name

HTH

Rasika

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Why not just backup the configuration from a WLC that is configured and then edit it and upload (restore) it to the the other WLC. That would be the easiest way:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply and I used to follow the same process which you explained.

I want to see/explore possible options to perform this. I was thinking it will be easier and quicker for the customer to use the CLI Templates rather than editing the backup WLC Configs.

In this way, I can just create a document and highlight the exact locations where changes need to be made on the CLI command list.

Just my taught process.

Thanks,

CJ

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Then it's best for your to create a template using excel or something else. I created one for our company that generates configurations and makes it configuring multiple wlc's easy. You can do a show run-config commands, but the commands are not in a specific order to be pushed so you will need to tweak that piece.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

Is it a normal Excel sheet, where you include all CLI Commands or are you running a script?

If possible, can you please share a sample template as how to create a script.

Thanks,

CJ

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Cisco Prime Infrastructure provides AutoInstall capabilities for controllers. A Cisco Prime Infrastructure administrator can create a filter that includes the host name, the MAC address, or the serial number of the controller and associate a group of templates (a configuration group) to this filter rule. The Prime Infrastructure pushes the initial configuration to the controller when the controller boots up initially. After the controller is discovered, the Prime Infrastructure pushes the templates that are defined in the configuration group. For more information about the AutoInstall feature and Cisco Prime Infrastructure, see the Cisco Prime Infrastructure documentation.

Please refer the link below:-

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_010.html#ID871

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.3/configuration/guide/b_wlc-cg_chapter_010.html

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card