Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC LAG

NetworkGuy!
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all

we have CIsc 5520 in LAG mode on the controller - does it need port-channelling on the switch end? it goes to two different switches but the switches are in VSS mode (Cisco6800)

13 Replies 13

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

yes for high availability user port-channel, use different physical switch port in each physical switch (when VSS switch over occurs) you still have access.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hi

Actually, Port-channel is not required. Port-channel is a feature if you, eventually,  needs more throughput in a given uplink. Instead 1 Giga or 10 Giga you can bound multiple interfaces and rise this number to up to  8 Giga or 80 Giga.

What is required on this case it interface in trunk mode so that you can split your traffic accordingly based on Vlans.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.- 

Thanks both

in the past i dont remember port-channeling so is this required or not?

no concern about bandwidth but just not sure if this is needed or not? because we see laptops flapping on logs on the core switch between one access point another?

As I said, port-channel is required only if you need more bandwidth. What is required for your scenario is trunk mode on the interface and/or port-channel.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

we are seeing flapping messages

28275320: Sep 9 17:21:28.132 GMT: %MAC_MOVE-SW1-4-NOTIF: Host d4e2.8011.af59  in vlan 10 is flapping between port Te1/1/17 and port Te2/1/17
28275356: Sep 9 17:26:40.374 GMT: %MAC_MOVE-SW1-4-NOTIF: Host d4e2.8011.af59 in vlan 10 is flapping between port Te1/1/17 and port Te2/1/17

Te1/1/17 is connected to WLC port 1 and Te2/1/17 is connected to WLC port 2 and in LAG mode

so does this need port-channeling in core switch? hence the question

We see the messages are normal as per my experience. until you see any issue here ?

BB

Thanks but why would these messages appear?  if i port channel will these messages go away?

"we have CIsc 5520 in LAG mode on the controller "

If you have LAG on WLC, then it is mandatory to use port channel config on your switch. Then those messages will go away

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

@Rasika Nayanajith 

just want to know is the same case with 8K controllers ? can you point me, i do see that messages, when the client roaming ..not found that tip before. like to explore me to fix that.

BB

when you enable LAG on a WLC (any hardware model) & two ports of WLC connect to two different switchports (on a VSS pair or switch stack), you should bundle those ports into a port channel group at the switch end.

Those mac flapping messages should not be occur in that situation

HTH

Rasika

yes the ports are bundled, and we can see its bundled on switch side.

do we see any other config required on WLC side, as you mentioning on this post...

we see mac flapping while client roam doing.

BB

Thank you all

Enabling LAG helped mac flapping from one interface to another however we do see mac address notification on switch when client roams from AP to AP which is normal i guess

just which level of notification on switch logging will make these messages dissappear?

Thanks,

yes that is normal that what we see when we configured WLC 8K

glad it hel, and can we can make it as resoved.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: