cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco WLC Whitelist for Guest Access? and securing guest-access?

mberrington
Level 1
Level 1

Is it possible to allow certain websites to bypass the web authentication pages, so that they do not need to autnehticate to get to our own website, but do have to if they wish to go anywhere else?

Looking at a 5508 model at the moment

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can create an ACL, then apply that to the WLAN as a Pre-Authentication ACL.  This is there to allow temporary acccess, with the need for authentication.

But at some point, the client will/should authenticate if they are going to be on the WLAN for an extended period of time.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You can create an ACL, then apply that to the WLAN as a Pre-Authentication ACL.  This is there to allow temporary acccess, with the need for authentication.

But at some point, the client will/should authenticate if they are going to be on the WLAN for an extended period of time.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thank you, it was the name which was loosing me.

Many Thanks!

I am having a similar concern. We want to allow the guest user to access a portal website prior to being authenticated. As I understand, we must create a pre-auth ACL to allow DHCP, DNS, also we have to allow http to the portal IP addresses.

From your answer above, what do you need by an extended period of time? Which timer is this and what will happen if the user keeps browsing the portal without authenticating?

Hello Stephen,

Exactly how long is "an extended period of time?" Also, is this period enforced in the controller in some way, and if so, can it be configured?

I'm asking because I have a WLAN for guests with a pre-authentication ACL allowing VPN traffic (ESP, IKE, SSL).

For "normal" use of this guest WLAN you have to click on an "accept" button on a captive portal page before you can get anywhere with traffic not matching the pre-auth ACL.

The pre-auth ACL does actually work, but it stops passing any traffic after 5 minutes of use per user. This happens every time and is 100% repeatable.

So I'm very interested to know if we can change this apparent 5 minute restriction in some way.

Thanks!

Chris Slater-Walker

Senior System Analyst

Nokia UK Ltd.

Has this issue ever been resolved? It looks like I'm experencing the same issues.

Grtz.

HI,

Can you create a new thread with problem description.

Reagrds

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card