cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients connecting 802.11a- 3800AP on WLC 8.2.170

awatson20
Level 4
Level 4

We have a location that has 3802 AP's, on a 5520 WLC operating on 8.2.170 code.  The WLAN they are connecting to currently is configured for both WPA-1(tkip) and WPA-2(aes)  We are moving away from having both encryption protocols enabled, but currently this is the configuration.  The Win10 clients have two GPO wireless profiles, 1 for WPA-1 and the other for WPA-2.  The WPA-2 profile is preferred.  We are moving away from this, and will be removing the WPA-1 GPO profile from these machines.  However, we have started seeing issues where clients will connect and prefer the WPA-1 profile, and will show connected 802.11a on 5GHZ.  When attempting to connect to WPA-2, these clients would connect, but some could not pass traffic, or others would bounce back to WPA-1.  Has anyone experience this issue?

10 Replies 10

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Mixed is never good, never ever. It can cause all kinds of issues (that is on the same SSID). My best guess, Wi-Fi adapter driver is the reason.

Also don't forget, WPA1 is very insecure by todays standards, but I assume you use 16+ characters as PSK or key length.

I understand it is not a good scenario, and we are moving away from it.  I was more interested if there was a potential bug we were hitting on the 3800 or WLC 5520 on 8.2.170 that was contributing to this.

So issues are found when wireless clients are connected to WPA2 PSK? Can you replicate the issue in a non-Windows OS?

No. We are seeing issues with windows clients connecting to WPA-1 and not WPA-2 on the same ssid with both enabled.  When trying to move them to WPA-2, they fail sometimes, or immediately connect using WPA-1.  We have only seen this with Windows clients, but that is 99% of the clients we have.  We are updating drivers, then plan to test to see if we can reproduce the issue.

Don't have both enabled on the same SSID. This will never work well.

@awatson20 wrote:

We have only seen this with Windows clients, but that is 99% of the clients we have.  We are updating drivers, then plan to test to see if we can reproduce the issue.

What Windows OS? 

Can you try to get a BYOD running the same Windows OS or Windows 10?

Windows 10.

Stupid question: The Windows 10 machines have their OS updated/patched, right? I mean it's not running the old SP1 (the same one that breaks WiFi)?

I would say yes. Most of our machines stay patched, although there
are some variations. Can you be more specific as to which Win 10
build you are referring to?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: