Views
Helpful
Replies

Clients don't get IP from External DHCP

gokulkrishnan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I have 2 controllers 4404 running 7.0.235.3 (37 and 31 APs 1142 connected) .  2 WLANs configured and mapped with IP Helper to external windows 2008 R2 DHCP server on 2 Scopes.

Student

Staff

Interfaces as follows

interface.JPG

The few clients get connected to the SSID but keep waiting to get a IP address from the external DHCP server (windows 2008 R2- Lease time 8 days).

The option Controller - Advanced - DHCP option - Enable DHCP Proxy is ON and option 82 is set to AP-ETHMAC with timeout of 120 sec.

When the controllers are rebooted, Clients connect and get IP and this works for sometime but problem re-appears in 24 hours.

I have tried to disable DHCP Proxy option but it causes a lot of ARP errors with duplicate IP address and clients drop every 30 mins.

Please advice how to fix this problem.

Thanks in advance

Gokul Krishnan

2 Replies 2

maldehne
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

first of all when you have dhcp proxy enabled , there is no need to put ip helper because the dynamic interface itself works as relay agent. So what you really need to do is to configure the primary dhcp server ip on the dynamic interfaces and see how it goes.

You can collect :

debug client < mac address >

while the issue is happenning

---------------------------------------------------------------

please make sure to rate correct answers

Thanks for your reply. The primary dhcp server is set on the dynamic interfaces staff and student as the windows dhcp server. the iphelper address is configured on the 4503 switch for the wired clients. As I said the controller works as normal after a reboot but fail after some time. Do you know if there could be a fix for released for 7.0.235.3

I will post the debug message when the issue arises again. at present the clients are getting ip as I restarted the wlc.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card