Views
Helpful
Replies

Co-existing with another wireless vendor

Luna99923
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a WLC 8540 in HA running 8.5.140.0 running 3802i AP's running RRM.  I have another another vendor wanting to install their own AP's (2 AP's to be exact) in a special area in our environment, essentially we need to co-exist with their AP's.  They will be installing Meraki MR42 access points.  They are able to use 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz.  My first thoughts were to provide the vendor with 5 GHz channels we are not using (100, 104, 108, 112, 116, 120, 124, 128, 132, 136, 140, 144).  That way we don't have to change from RRM to using static channels as we don't have Extended UNII-2 channels enabled.  My second thought was to turn off some 2.4 GHz radios and let them use 2.4 GHz channels.

Would there be anything else I would need to consider on the WLC, we would be seeing them as rogues but we don't do containment.

Thanks

1 Reply 1

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I have had to do this in the past and basically just decide on channels they can use, and if it is critical, then make sure they don’t use DFS channels. Then you can basically remove those channels from your DCA or create a new ap groups and RF profile for that surrounding area where you don’t have those channels defined. You can possible give them 2-4 20mhz channel’s depending on the requirement. Also if they don’t need 2.4ghz, have them remove that from their DCA.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card