cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Configuring built-in Wireless AP on C1111-8PW

Spork Schivago
Level 1
Level 1

Hi!   I have a Cisco C1111-8PW that has a built-in wireless AP.   I have three other not built-in wireless APs (1832's) that I will be using as well, but right now, I do not have them plugged in.   They are just to provide extra coverage (to prevent dead zones).

Using a console cable, I see the Wlan-GigabitEthernet 0/1/8 interface.   I see the CiscoAirProvision SSID.   I've been using the following websites for gathering information on how to configure the built-in Wireless AP:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/getg_start.html

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/access/1100/software/configuration/xe-16-7/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_xe_16_7_x/cisco_1100_series_swcfg_chapter_01010.pdf

I've successfully accessed the Initial Configuration Wizard but I had some questions.   Where it asks for Management IP address, what exactly do I put there?   Do I put the public IP of the router that faces the WAN, GigabitEthernet 0/0/1?    Or, do I put the IP address assigned the Wlan-GigabitEthernet 0/1/8 interface?   Or do I make up an IP address and that will be the IP address assigned to the WAP?   Such as 192.168.1.1?

Finally, directions say an external DHCP server must be running.   Do I setup and configure a DHCP server on the Wlan-GigabitEthernet 0/1/8 interface?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you must see the router part as a device that connects your internal network to the WAN

and the access point as a device on the inside network.

you will normally mange the AP from your internal network

so NO for the management IP address you should not us the outside IP address.

ip the routers internaladdress is 192.168.1.1, the AP could use192.168.1.2

if the router is configured to supply dhcp addresses to the inside network then you are good to go, 

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

pieterh
VIP
VIP

you must see the router part as a device that connects your internal network to the WAN

and the access point as a device on the inside network.

you will normally mange the AP from your internal network

so NO for the management IP address you should not us the outside IP address.

ip the routers internaladdress is 192.168.1.1, the AP could use192.168.1.2

if the router is configured to supply dhcp addresses to the inside network then you are good to go, 

Spork Schivago
Level 1
Level 1

I did figure this out a few days back but forgot to update the thread.   I am having some issues with another problem I am attempting to solve and will create a new thread for that problem.

Thanks and sorry about not updating the thread here!

no problem, I'm glad to hear you find the solution yourself!

also thank you for marking my answer

how did you get the AP to get an IP?
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card