cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Considerations for 3800e AP & AIR-ANT2440NV-R

martynbeck
Level 1
Level 1

I am proposing a deploy of some 3800e's with some AIR-ANT2440NV-R's, the AP being inside a GRP harbourside cabinet, and the antennae outside thru a hole to the inside. Not used these ant's before. Some thoughts/queries :-

the ant is 2.4 only (but approved for use with 3800), i'm assuming that just by config'ng the AP on the controller to 2.4 only (i.e. with 5 off) there's nothing else needed to make it only do 2.4?

Assuming the out-of-the-box RP-TNC's on the 3 ft cable on the ant are good for direct to the RP-TNC's on the 3800?

Diagrams and spec of the ant (3 cables piccy'd and its a 3 element MIMO) lead me to think its only got 3 cables, the 3800 has 4 external ant points, should i be using particular ant points for the 3 cables or does it matter (eeny meeny miny moe leave that one then).

Any pointers??

thanks

Martyn

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

hope the information helpful, if this is resolve, make it as resolved so it will be helpful for other community members.
*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

the ant is 2.4 only (but approved for use with 3800), i'm assuming that just by config'ng the AP on the controller to 2.4 only (i.e. with 5 off) there's nothing else needed to make it only do 2.4?

I think that's right. 

***Please rate all helpful responses***

Jagan

jagan.chowdam
Level 4
Level 4

Diagrams and spec of the ant (3 cables piccy'd and its a 3 element MIMO) lead me to think its only got 3 cables, the 3800 has 4 external ant points, should i be using particular ant points for the 3 cables or does it matter (eeny meeny miny moe leave that one then).

I'm not 100% sure, but found the following pic from the Cisco documentation. I might be wrong.

Antenna Connectors.jpg

Reference: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-4/b_cisco_access_points_with_smart_antennas.html

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
If this is for external use, check (and compare) the cost of a 3802E (plus antennas) setup against a 1562I.

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I know it is listed as an approved antenna for the 3800e but I can not find any documentation to say which of the 4 ports you don't use. I have emailed a friend within Cisco to see if I can get some clarification of how this connects.

You are correct the RP-TNC from that antenna will connect straight to the AP, you will need to determine if the 3 foot will be log enough or look at a extension cable

Have you also considered the AIR-ANT2544V4M-R= which is dual band, if you don't need the 5GHz you could always turn it off and its there if required in the future. The antenna is the same Gain and very similar radiation pattern as the AIR-ANT2440NV-R

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Hi everyone,

As per Haydn's comment, is it worth considering the AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=; or do you require different antennas for 2.4GHz and 5GHz?

With the Smart Antenna connector you can connect the three leads of the AIR-ANT2440NV-R= to the first three connectors (A/B/C) and disable radio D for 2.4GHz to ensure it isn't operating unloaded:

config 802.11b 11nsupport antenna <AP name> D disable 

Regards,

Stephen. 

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Just got this from a contact in Cisco Reference of how to connect the antenna:

recommendation is to connect the 3 leads to first 3 connectors i.e. radios A/B/C and disable radio D in CLI so it won’t be unloaded: config 802.11b 11nsupport antenna <AP name> D disable 

As other comments have stated, it might be worth looking at other antennas or an Outdoor AP as there might not be a cost difference.

As the 3802e is an indoor AP you will also if you ever want to use the 5GHz side need to consider the allowed channels for outdoor use.

hope the information helpful, if this is resolve, make it as resolved so it will be helpful for other community members.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card