Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Convert CT5508 from HA to Primary

Customer purchased a HA pair of 5508 controllers.

Is there a way via a purchase and conversion process to change the secondary 5508 to be full 5508 so that they can both be active and be part of a larger N+1 WLC environment?

Also can a HA pair be part of a larger N+1 environment?

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the unit that was purchased was an HA sku, then you will not be able to add any license to that.  For an active controller, you need to have an AIR-CT5008-A-K9 for example that allow you to install ap count license.

-Scott

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What I was hoping was for there to be an upgrade sku to change the 5508 from an -HA to an -A and then add licenses to it.  But apparently that is not an option.

That is correct.  If your environment is getting larger, why not look at an 8510 or 8540 in HA or just move from the 5508 to the 85xx.  I have a bunch of customers whom are doing that and the ease of management is much better.

-Scott

-Scott

Scott,

Customer has three other 5508's that are clustered in two other locations so upgrading to the 85xx right now is not part of their options.  Maybe next year when we do a Cisco One upgrade it would be time.

I hear ya.  Maybe reach out to your Cisco SE and see if they would switch the HA to a licensed controller. 

-Scott

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card