Views
Helpful
Replies

Covering both Indoor and Outdoor with Cisco 1522 Mesh AP

csco11567343
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am planning a wireless implementation and will like to know if the 1522 AP designed in Mesh can effectively cover both indoor and outdoor. If possible, kindly guide me on what I should put into consideration before implementation

9 Replies 9

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can the 1522 cover both indoor an outdoor... I guess so, but cost wise, it isn't a good idea. Unless your environment inside requires that type of enclosure the 1522 provides, you might want to just use an AP that can be used as an indoor mesh AP if mesh technology is what you want. Most, will cable to each individual access point in an indoor space (if possible). Outdoor area coverage I can see where a mesh AP is beneficial.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I don't get your question.  Are you planning, say, to install ONE 1522 and hope that the signal strength is strong enough to go both inside and outside?

If this is the case, then the answer is "It depends" on the walls that separate the inside and the outside.  Another thing, trying to install a 1522 INSIDE is horrendous!

csco11567343
Level 1
Level 1

I'm glad for the response guys!

@Scott Fella

Is any model available for indoor mesh in cisco?

@Leolahoo

I plan to use up to 5 1522 hoping it can cover both in & outdoors. though the walls are very thick.

Anyway, as per further evaluation, i plan to change my design. I will implement Mesh at the outdoor and controller-based AP at the indoor.

Meanwhile, I need some predictive site survey to give me insight into the numbers of APs required and other specifications. Pls does any one knows how i can get free/open source site survey tool for predictive analysis?

Meanwhile, I need some predictive site survey to give me insight into the numbers of APs required and other specifications.

Terra Wave

Meanwhile, I need some predictive site survey to give me insight into the numbers of APs required and other specifications. Pls does any one knows how i can get free/open source site survey tool for predictive analysis?        

Fluke Airmagnet Survey is the best in the market.

I believe any of the 1131 an newer models support indoor mesh. You will not really gain coverage since the TX power is regulated for indoor wireless compared to outdoor. Indoor and outdoor mesh AP's and indoor access points are controlled by a WLC. I'm not talking about using autonomous AP's either:)

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

csco11567343
Level 1
Level 1

Hmm!

Thanks guys

Welcome to CSC.

As Leo and Scott pointed out already the 1522 is a expensive outdoor ap. The 1131, 1242, 1142 etc will do mesh as well. In fact I am in chile working with a counter part on a large Cisco mesh deployment. Mesh is a different world. The 1500 is pretty heavy and when you install them make sure you install them with the console side facing out. If you don't and you need to console into the ap you will need to uninstall unmount the 1500.

Also there is a mesh Config guide 7.0.116.0 and a new mesh lab guide released this week. All good reading...

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

csco11567343
Level 1
Level 1

Great help there George. I will sure look for the config guide download from cisco website now or if you have the link it will be appreciated. Also, i want you guys to help me out on the design phase most importantly now.

How can i deduce the exact nos of APs to buy? I checked price for the Airmagnet survey tool and i cant afford that for now.

Any other way to go pls???

Secondly, I have concluded to either use autonomous or lightweight {with WLC} indoors. Definitely the controller-based will be more expensive, but is there any other major benefit to it?. The entire site should have around 15 APs as per my intuition

Go with the WLC....its a better solution overall.  I wouldn't even suggest using autonomous anymore and I'm not a sales guy.  As for tools... well many of those tools are expensive and to even know how to use them correctly takes a long time. You have to undrstand RF and know how to understand the tool.  You should really get a good Cisco partner to perform a site survey before you regret it later.  You don't want to end up having issues and adding ap's here and there just to patch up areas that have no or poor coverage.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card