cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Create an SSID Beacon

bosanquetk
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know the best way to create an SSID beacon?

All I want to create is a device which only transmits an SSID beacon which can be configured. Some of the criteria are;

• Range - ~10m
  • No wireless receive
  • 2.4GHz range
  • Configurable items
    • SSID
    • Transmit period (e.g. Tx for 1sec)
    • Break period (e.g. No tx for 5secs)

Can anyone offer any guidance on this?

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You are looking to craft a packet?

To what purpose?  and please be very very VERY specific.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I dont want to create a new packet, I just want to turn off all the other elements apart from the SSID broadcast.

The purpose is for a little home project I am working on.

All I need to create is a stripped down device to only transmit a beacon in the same format as an SSID so that it can be recognised by a wifi enabled device without any hardware or software modification. No connectivity is required.

While I do not know how to do this myself, I would caution you to be very careful with this.

the potential for DOS attacks is very high, and I for one would not one someone to point back to these forums saying that this is where they learned/heard how to do it.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thats ok, there was no malicious intent in the request.

I will keep up my research to get this project up and working though.

Thanks.

Karl.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: