cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Csco Air AP1852i-e-k9 unable to configure as client / bridge mode

pescla
Spotlight
Spotlight

I just got this AP form a collegue and i want to use it as a client to connect a few devices to a WiFi (Workgroup Bridging).

However i am running into a lot of issues it seems, and i dont have enough knowledge to figure out where the problem lies.

My speculation is that the AP is a lightweight one that requires a WLC, but i am not sure.

So, first thing after connecting, i was greeted by "waiting for uplink IP and reachable default gateway" - i searched a lot for this issue, but ultimately could not figure out what to do with it, so i just disabled console logging and ignored it.

Then, i saw that i cant #config t? The command doesnt seem to be available, i read online that this is because the AP is not in client mode - so i tried setting it up with what was suggested. "debug capwap console cli", which wasnt available either, i could only enter "debug capwap client ... ". i tried a few other things, but every time i see an error that indicates that CAPWAP is not ready yet (Capwap process not ready yet. Try after few moments. /
CAPWAP socket is not ready, save static IP addr to config file.) I read that it usually just takes a few minutes displaying this after booting, but ive been waiting far longer, so something seems wrong here too.

Now, after waiting for a while, CAPWAP seems to have turned on - spamming my log with "[*02/16/2017 03:22:33.5789] CAPWAP State: Discovery
[*02/16/2017 03:22:33.5789] Discovery Request sent to 255.255.255.255 with discovery type set to CAPWAP_DISCOVERY_TYPE_UNKNOWN(0)"

How do i configure the AP to be standalone and stop searching for a WLC?
This is the run conf:

#show running-config
AP Name : Not Configured
Admin State : Enabled
AP Mode : Local
AP Submode : None
Reboot Reason : Invalid Config File
Primary controller name :
Primary controller IP : 0.0.0.0
Secondary controller name :
Secondary controller IP : 0.0.0.0
Tertiary controller name :
Tertiary controller IP : 0.0.0.0
AP join priority : 1
Last Joined Controller name:
DTLS Encryption State : Disabled
Discovery Timer : 10
Heartbeat Timer : 30
CDP State : Enabled
Watchdog monitoring : Enabled
RRM State : Enabled
LSC State : Disabled
SSH State : Disabled
AP Username : Cisco
Session Timeout : -60
Extlog Host : 255.255.255.255
Extlog Flags : 0
Extlog Status Interval : 0
Syslog Host : 255.255.255.255
Syslog Facility : 0
Syslog Level : 0
Core Dump TFTP Ip Addr : 0.0.0.0
Core Dump Flag: : 0
Core Dump Filename :
WLC Link LAG status : Disabled
AP Link LAG status : Disabled

Thanks a lot! Sorry if i forgot something, i am really new to the field.

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
These types of access points are not meant to be used as a client / bridge. You need an access point that can run autonomous image in order to do that. The tricky part is if that ap will connect to an existing network as typically there are some settings on the wireless system that needs to be done depending on the system it connects to. Also, you need a support contract to download any software. That AP will not work for you. If this is for home use, you might be better off buying one from the store.
Here is a guide to WGB configuration if you want to look at it:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/wireless/aironet-1200-series/68472-configure-wgb-00.html
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

But if i could, technically, get my hands on another firmware - i heard you can simply configure the AP to be standalone with another IOS version? Would that solve my issue? Or is this false and i cannot get this AP to be a client / bridge in any way?

You need to look at what an ap can support or cannot. The 1852’s do not run autonomous mode, the older AP’s can. So if you get a hold of like a 3702 or older, you can convert those into autonomous mode and give that a try.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card