cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Default IP address

AdamParker99111
Level 1
Level 1

What is the default IP address for a cisco wireless access point , so i can pull up the setup page.

6 Replies 6

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

AP default IP is DHCP assigned.

Connect a console cable and you will be able to see what IP is assigned

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

I have a patch cord in the console port and the other in my laptop , now how do i see the IP address?

There 2 different cables here

1. Console cable, which is Cisco Blue cable you can connect to Serial port or Serial USB cable

as soon as you connect, you will have console access to view the configuration of the device, if the device connected to network and got a DHCP Address

2. Another cable ethernet connection this required to connect to switch get PoE and IP address from your Lan DHCP Server.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is way over my head but thanks for all your help

THANGTNQ1982
Level 1
Level 1

My perspective is using dynamic IP address and let AP handle this task.

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Cisco APs (the newer 2800, 3800, some 18xx and I think the 9x00) come in two software variants. The ending in -K9 models require a Wireless Controller (WLC) to work. The -K9C contain a Mobility Express (ME) image, which is in itself a Wireless Controller.

The ME models start to distribute an SSID once they are fully booted (takes around 7-8 minutes) and are attached to a network with a working DHCP server (this is important!). You then can connect to the "Cisco Airprovision" (or something like that) SSID and do the initial configuration. You don't need to know an IP Address for this.
But if you have a -K9 model, then you must configure the WLC initially and the AP will then connect to it and get its full configuration from it.

Then there are the older models x700, x600, ... They also come in two variants, one which again requires a WLC and the others with Autonomous image. The autonomous ones you configure through the Serial cable, or telnet/ssh, once you know the IP. There is no default one (as far as I remember) and you require a working DHCP server in that LAN segment.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card