Views
Helpful
Replies

Define an Area Without WLAN Coverage

concico9982
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i have an Outdoor Area covered by Cisco Wireless LAN Solution (WCS,WLC,1550AP root and Mesh lightweight). I need to disable power transmission for some of these APs in the 2..4GHz.

I tried two possible way, but both are not working:

1) Set the power of 802.11g/g/n to 0. There is no such option (power can be set manually from 1 to 5 and, as per the documentation, each level is a reduction of 3dB.  Therefore, even if i put to the minimum, i cannot guarantee that there is no utilization of the 2.4GHz spectrum).

2) Define an AP group containing these APs and don't add any SSID. Is not possible because at least one SSID must be added on each AP group.

Can somebody advice a working solution/setting in AP/WLC/WCS that help me to avoid transmission in 2.4GHZ? Otherwise the only solution is to power them off, but is not the solution i'm looking for.

Thanks in advance.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would think that in the ap configuration tab under configure, you can disable the radio itself.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I would think that in the ap configuration tab under configure, you can disable the radio itself.

-Scott

In order to be sure that i didn't misunderstand are you suggesting to go in WCS on:

Radio Detail :                                802.11b/g/n

Configure>  Access Points > "AP_NAME" > Radio Detail

and in Admin Status uncheck?

Please see the attached image.

Thanks for your reply.

yes, unchecking this option will bring 2.4ghz radio down on this ap. you can also globally disable 2.4 network from b/g radio page that disables 2.4 radio on all APs.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes... But I normally do that straight from the WLC not WCS. You can do it from WCS if you want.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: