cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Design wireless (WLC, AP, Switches...)

3xIT
Level 1
Level 1

I need to design and implement wireless for my friend's house. There is enough money to do that, just want to be sure what is the best.

We have one main house and guest house. In the main house, we will have 6 AP (one will be for outside to cover garden) and one AP for guest house. Between house we have fiber.

My design looks like this:

ISP router - Cisco ASA 5505 - Cisco 3560CX-12PC-S (MAIN HOUSE) - Cisco 3802 AP --- WLC 2504

For guest house just Cisco 3560CX-8PC-S (connect to switch 3560CX-12PC-S from the main building) - Cisco 3800 AP.

Can you help me to design simple but still very good and secured wireless?

Thanks in advance!

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I would look at a 3504 controller since the 2504 is limited to no higher than v8.5. As far as the number of AP’s, you should possible survey that for sure. You should think of the devices that will connect and where they will be at. If you start putting in IoT devices like for video, you might want to place AP’s closer to those locations and or add some.

You do have an ASA so as far as security wireless, it would depend also how much effort do you want to do and whom will support it. You can always run a server and VM’s to host a radius server, AD etc if you really want to, but it comes back to supporting it. I run these at my home, just because it’s also my lab and everything I have does connect to it. I also run a Meraki Wired/Wireless and Security appliance. Maybe it’s something you should look into as it might be easier to setup and or support.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

What do you think about some other WLC if maybe transfer APs from PoE switch to the WLC?

I saw there some software from Cisco (Cisco ONE and Mobility Express). Is it a just additional license for WLC or you have to have some kind of server or VM to handle it?

Thanks for Meraki, I saw that once but you still need to pay monthly support or something like that?

I would not look at Mobility Express. If you want a WLC then go for a 3504. As far as support, Meraki you would buy a license for a year or up to three I believe. With the WLC, you would need to buy support if you every need to upgrade the unit. Without support you will not be able to download images. The two are different also. Cloud vs on prem. Just depends on what you want to do, ease of access and changes and then of course the cost of support.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card