cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Determine which WLANs are actually accessed on which APs?

lcaruso
Level 6
Level 6

I'm dealing with a setup that has 12 WLANs which I largely suspect are not all needed but rather a product of historically adding on provisioning without distinct justifications. 

I need to decipher which APs that currently host these12 WLANs actually use them, so I can at least get the SSID's off of the individual APs where possible. 

Using config analyzer or command line or GUI, is there a way to obtain this information?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

It’s hard for us to decipher what you need because we don’t know if your using ap groups, if some WLANs are disabled or not, etc.
First, look to see if the wlans are enabled and being used, either globally in the default group or in which ap group. If you don’t have Prime, then show wlan summary and then show client summary so you can see what wlans are being used at that time and what wlan id is tied to what SSID. You can also look at what interfaces the wlans are mapped to and then look at the DHCP server history and that can tell you the utilization.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

The best way is to run these commands:

show ap summary
show wlan summary
show wlan apgroups
show client summary

You should be able to correlate the data to determine what ssids are being used or not. If multiple ssids are mapped to the same interface, to me, you can then consolidate that to one ssid per vlan.
-Scott

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have Prime you can get the information, or i belive  from WLC also you can fetch, what WLC controller you have?

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Thanks. This site does not have Prime and they have all APs connected to one 5508 failover pair. 

The best way is to run these commands:

show ap summary
show wlan summary
show wlan apgroups
show client summary

You should be able to correlate the data to determine what ssids are being used or not. If multiple ssids are mapped to the same interface, to me, you can then consolidate that to one ssid per vlan.
-Scott

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

if the WLAN IDs are below 16 then all APs will have them.

if above 16 than AP groups will show you which APs have what SSIDs

For clients connected currently you can use WLC to filter clients by SSID otherwise if you have Prime you can run a report over x days to see what has connected to what SSID and AP

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

It’s hard for us to decipher what you need because we don’t know if your using ap groups, if some WLANs are disabled or not, etc.
First, look to see if the wlans are enabled and being used, either globally in the default group or in which ap group. If you don’t have Prime, then show wlan summary and then show client summary so you can see what wlans are being used at that time and what wlan id is tied to what SSID. You can also look at what interfaces the wlans are mapped to and then look at the DHCP server history and that can tell you the utilization.
-Scott

Thanks. They have ten WLAN IDs below 16 and two above 16.

This means all APs in the default-AP group will broadcast all the WLAN with IDs of 16 and less.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
I use the CLI command "sh wlan apgroups".
This should produce an output of WLAN and which APs are in this group.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card