cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dhcp on 1130AG for Clients to Receive a IP address

Leonard.Jackson
Level 1
Level 1

I have a Microsoft dhcp server (Windows 2000) on my network. Connected the 1130AG to a trunk port on a Cisco switch. The 1130AG receives an ip address from the dhcp server just fine. How do I make the 1130AG AP give out ip addresses to client workstations on the wireless network? Can you give me the CLI commands to make this work?

6 Replies 6

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

Unless the clients are on a different VLAN, they will get addresses from the same DHCP server.

If you are using multiple VLANs/SSIDs on a single AP, the you'd do an dot1q trunk to the switch, and put an IPHELPER address on the AP side of the router (one IPHELPER statement per VLAN).

IPHELPER will translate the broadcast DHCP address to a unicast aimed at the address listed in the command (like your DHCP server(s)).

Good Luck, Happy Holidays

Scott

Hi Scott,

I have a new setup too. my clients just cant seem to get any ip address from the 1240AG AP. When I trunk the AP to the switch using 802.1q, I can only see the AP light keep blinking and it loss connection with the WLC.

How do I setup the trunk? my AP carry multiple SSIDs/VLANs.

I can't to seem to ping the WLC from my VLAN1 too, however, I can ping the hsrp interfaces in which the WLC is in, why?

Hi Paul,

Its quite easy if you configure VLANs in both Switch & WLC properly.

- Configure the VLANs on the WLC and associate with the SSID's

- Configure trunk in the Switch

- Provide option43 on the DHCP Server so that LAP request are forwarded to WLC.

- Configure IP Helper if DHCP is in different subnet.

- Debug DHCP and check first whether the LAP got any IP or not which is WLC Management IP

Regards, Pradeep

Hi Pradeep,

for the VLANs portion, it works now.

I was actually trying to connect my guest users to the internet via my ASA5500 firewall, by just creating vlan all the way to the WLC, the guest can get the ip already, and connected to the internet. However, I put the web-authentication on the wireless VLAN for the guest, configure the local net users, it just doesnt get authenticated, I cannot understand why.

I am using WLC4402 version 4.0.219.0. could it be that i configured wrongly? if i tried to use the switch to configured vlans, i can get the user to authenticated through web-auth, but not when i use my ISP's DNS, and use the firewall as direct gateway for my guest VLAN, i configure the DHCP server on the WLC itself.

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Thanks much,

paul

Hi Paul,

As far as I know Web Auth on 4.x code will work properly. Could you pl check the guest user config on the WLC.. The link below will be provide some information.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/guest_access/technical/reference/4.0/GAccess.html

You can go down and check the Web Authentication Process as well in that document.

Keep us posted.

Regards

I don't see a spot to give the FA port on the 1130AG accesspoint a helper address through the GUI. Is it only available using the command prompt or am I just missing it?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card