Views
Helpful
Replies

Different AP MAC address shown on wireless client logs

Dmoreno69
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Everyone,

I am really a rookie on wireless networks.

I am investigating an issue where people is unable to do wireless at 2 floors in a building. We are using LAPs.

I asked a person onsite to send me some logs from his Intel Proset tools. The report he emailed me shows no IP Address is being assigned to his PC.

I noticed that the AP MAC address on the logs he provided is lets say ##:##:##:2D:AC:61, I check on the WLC and the AP MAC address is actually

##:##:##:2D:AC:60

Is that an expected behavour, a known issue or something like that?

Your input will be appreciated.

Thanks,

David M.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

Yes, its the virtual mac. I actually blog in detail about this subject of the virtual mac. Read the below link and you will have your answer!

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/5/2/wlc-how-cisco-virtualizes-the-base-radio-mac-address-on-the.html

If you find this helpful please kindly support the CSC rating system!

btw -- Welcome to the world of WiFi!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

David,

Yes, its the virtual mac. I actually blog in detail about this subject of the virtual mac. Read the below link and you will have your answer!

http://www.my80211.com/home/2011/5/2/wlc-how-cisco-virtualizes-the-base-radio-mac-address-on-the.html

If you find this helpful please kindly support the CSC rating system!

btw -- Welcome to the world of WiFi!

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Cool! Many thanks George!

I will continue checking your blog, looks like tons of interesting info is available there!

Thanks for the quick and accurate answer,

David M.

No worries. Stop back if you have any other questions..

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card