cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Different between H-REAP mode & Office Extention in Cisco AP

selvaaaaa
Level 1
Level 1

What is the different between H-REAP mode & Office Extention .

Hope both created for remote branch support , but it seems only H-REAP can route the data traffic locally & forwards control traffic to remote WLC.

This Office extend feature forwards both Data & Control traffic to office WLC.

Is my understanding correct ..please help me.

5 Replies 5

selvaaaaa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

Still waiting for your help on above query. 

Will the Office Extender Access Point ( OEAP ) can do the authendication by using centarllised WLC

& can divert data traffic locally in branch office , instaed of routing data packets again to cental WLC.

By this i can save my WAN link traffic between my Branch & remote end office.

Office Extends tunnels back to the WLC so ALL traffic will go though the WLC. HREAP allows you to central or local switch your traffic. It sounds like you want to central auth and local switch. If this is the case HREAP is your option.

Hope this helps

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

FYI:  H-REAP and FlexConnect are the same thing. 

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

As per your query i can suggest you the following solution  -

Hybrid Remote Edge Access Point (H REAP) is a wireless solution for branch office and remote office deployments. It enables customers to configure and control access points in a branch or remote office from the corporate office through a wide area network (WAN) link without deploying a controller in each office. The H REAP access points can switch client data traffic locally and perform client authentication locally when the connection to the controller is lost. When connected to the controller, H REAPs can also tunnel traffic back to the controller.

The Office Extend AP (OEAP) is a specific submode of H-REAP, and is supported on the Cisco Aironet 1130AG, 1140, and 3500i (not 3500e) APs. You can also use the Cisco Aironet 600 AP, which is a model dedicated to the OEAP mode. This dual-band (2.4-GHz and 5-GHz) AP supports 2 corporate SSIDs and 1 home SSID, up to 15 clients, and offers 5 Ethernet ports at the back (1 uplink port, 1 corporate VPN port, and 3 local switch ports). Other OEAP-capable APs support 16 SSIDs (15 corporate SSIDs and 1 personal SSID).

Hope this will help you.

HI Abhishek,

According to the Cisco Wireless LAN Controller Configuration Guide, Release 7.0.116.0 - Chapter 8 - Controlling Lightweight Access Points - OfficeExtend Access Points, both "Coverage Hole Detection", "Aironet IE", "MFP", "Client Load Balancing" & "Client Band Select" should not be enabled on OEAP 600 Series APs, even it is a Voice WLAN.

My question is, does the same thing apply on other APs series, such as Cisco 1040, 1130, 1140, and 3502I series access points???  Thanks a lot =]

Regards,

Terry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card