Views
Helpful
Replies

Difficult (?) upgrade and expansion

nick.dumitrescu
Level 1
Level 1

Hi guys,

I am trying to figure out the best path for upgrading and expading our wireless network (by extending into a new building), and I would really need your feedback. 

We have the following infrastructure:

1. WLC Controller 2504 with the following sysinfo:

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 8.0.121.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.20
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 7.6.101.1
Firmware Version................................. PIC 20.0

Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

2. 3 APs connected so far:

AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9

AIR-CAP1702I-E-K9

AIR-LAP1042N-E-K9

To this, I want to add 4 more APs: AIR-AP2802E-E-K9

I understand that I need to upgrade the software to the latest version, which I found to be 8.5, but on some link I found to be 8.8. My questions are:

1. What is the latest version - 8.5 or 8.8?

2. If 8.5, can I make the upgrade in one step? If 8.8 I know I have to make 2 steps

3. Will all my old APs still be supported in the new version?

4. How do I do the pre-download process properly, to limit the downtime?

5. Any other advices?

This is my first time upgrading the WLC controller, I really don't want to mess it up, we're a production environment and things might get sensitive if the WiFi is down on a Monday morning. I can afford downtime during the weekend, but none Monday-Friday.

Your feedback is highly appreciated!

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

You can reboot the WLC whenever you want. Only if an AP crashes, it will reload with the wrong OS and reload again with the right OS.
Connect the 2800 once you are done upgrading.

View solution in original post

Sounds like it doesn't get enough power. The 2800 series require PoE+, does your switch provide 30W?

One more thing, it can take up to 20 minutes on the first boot + software upgrade, but it shouldn't take longer than that.

I currently don't have a Flex AP connected. But you should be able to do that in the group properties. Here the manual (Step 9):

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/7-4/configuration/guides/consolidated/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED/b_cg74_CONSOLIDATED_chapter_010001111.html#ID1375

22 Replies 22

patoberli
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni
Cisco has several software builds which they develop in parallel. For your old WLC the latest major release is 8.5 (8.6 and higher is not working on your WLC) and there the latest minor/patch release is 8.5.151.0.
Here release notes for all the various releases:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/wireless/5500-series-wireless-controllers/products-release-notes-list.html
Problem is, your AP1042 has last support in the major 8.3, so if you want to keep it, you cannot upgrade higher than the latest 8.3 release!
Check the release notes for the supported upgrade path, you might need to first install a newer 8.0 release before going to the latest 8.3.
Please also note, the latest Catalyst 9100 series APs aren't yet supported by 8.3 and would require 8.9 or newer, so don't buy those.

For preloading, install the update on the WLC, don't reboot when asked to. Now login via SSH to the WLC and issue the preload command:
http://www.my80211.com/cisco-wlc-cli-commands/2011/2/20/wlc-predownload-the-image-to-the-access-points-from-the-cont.html

Also check if you have enough licenses on the WLC to support the additional APs, or you need to buy additional licenses (AP Adder License).

Hi,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Now, one thing at a time:

1. It should be no tragedy to get rid of the oldest AP, the 1042, and replace it with a 2800 series.

2. From what I've read so far, 8.5 would be the latest major I can update to, since the 2504 will actually go out of support at the end of the year - please correct me if I'm wrong

3. Also, from what I understand, 8.5 would be the middle path that supports both the older ones and the new 2800 series.

Is this correct?

All of this is correct.
One alternative idea is to use Mobility Express on the 2800 APs, you can then join your 17xx APs to the 2800 AP and use it as master.
See here for more information: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8/b_cisco_mobility_express_8_8_chapter_00.html
With this you could get rid of the WLC, as the AP will offer those functions.
You could even keep your old 1040 and the WLC, but those two (ME and WLC) would not work well side by side.

I'm not sure I understand correctly. The idea is to use the 2800s with the WLC, and the older ones as slaves for these ones?

I found the answer - I need to remove the WLC from the scheme.

One more question - any idea how long the WiFi would be unavailable in case of the WLC upgrade with preloading the APs?

Not too long, think in the order of a minute of 5 if all goes well, maybe a little bit longer, but not that much.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Around 7-10 minutes, depending if the preload went correct (including switching the image) and how quick the 2504 reloads. 

One more thing, make sure the WLC has the correct time and is synced with an NTP server, this is important for the future!

I got the 8.2 and the 8.5 versions, I'll do this upgrade in 2 steps. Thank you so much for your help on this!

Is it possible that I can load the software, preload it on the APs and only reboot tomorrow morning? Or do I have to reboot immediately after the import of the software? And also, do I have to connect the new 2800 series to the network before or after the upgrade?

You can reboot the WLC whenever you want. Only if an AP crashes, it will reload with the wrong OS and reload again with the right OS.
Connect the 2800 once you are done upgrading.

Great! Guys, thanks a lot! I figure that I will proceed as follows:

1a. Backup (upload) the current configuration of the controller

1b. Download the new software on the controller

2. Preload the image to the APs

3. Wait until tomorrow morning to reboot the controller (not sure if I need to do something to the APs or it will be an automatic process)

4. Check if everything works as expected

5. Add the new 2800 series APs to the network

6. Enjoy the new extended WiFi :)

Thank you so much for your advices!

APs will reboot automatically, once they discover a different release on the WLC.

On the WLC under Wireless - 802.11a/n/ac - High Throughput enable all new data rates after the updates. You need to disable the 5 GHz network to make this change for a minute or two.

OK, got it, thanks.

One more question (you can see that this is my first time...) - my primary image now is 8.0.121 and backup is 7.6. How do I make the backup also 8.0.121, so in case that something goes wrong, it will boot into the current 8.0.121?

L.E. I just finished downloading the 8.2.170 image on the controller, preloaded the APs, waiting for the right time to reboot. Wish me luck! If all goes well, will move on to 8.5, and change the oldest AP. Lots of adrenaline now :)

Once you reload, or already now, the 7.6 should be gone and the 8.0.121.0 the backup. Once you reload to 8.2 and then install the upgrade to 8.5, the 8.2 version will be the new backup and the old 8.0 will be replaced.

I've suspected that this is the case, once I've seen it creating the backup during the code download.

Again, thanks, and I hope it won't be the case to come back for recovery information :) I'll keep you updated once it is done.

Morning!
I finished the upgrade - no issues whatsoever. I updated to 8.2.170 first, went rather quickly, then moved to 8.5.151 - this one took longer, but no issues in the end. Now we have a brand new software on our controller, new and better APs.
Thank you so much for your support!
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card