Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Disable radios when an AP first connects to WLC

I am deploying new 2700 series AP's to a 5508 but I want them to disable their radios when they first connect. Reason being is these new AP's are being installed in a live environment with old 1200 series AP's connecting to WiSM blades and I don't want the new AP's to interfere with the existing. I want them to register so I can name them, put them in the proper AP Groups, etc... and then once they are all in place and online I will turn off the old ones and turn on the new. I did Google and Cisco searches but too many results to pore through so I was hoping someone knows of a link or can step me through how to do this. I'm guessing it's some sort of CLI Template but I'm not really sure. Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your better off enabling Out of Office feature.

In the GUI, the feature is under Wireless | RF Profiles.  Hopefully you are running code that supports this. You would enable Out of Box and enable persistence.

-Scott 

*** Please rate helpful posts *** 

-Scott

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Best is to disable 802.11a  and 802.11b radios Network on the new WLC(5508) where the new APs will join.

here are the commands for WLC:

config 802.11b disable network

config 802.11a disable network

Step1: Disable radio N/W on new WLC by using above commands

Step2: Connect all new AP to new WLC

Step3: Remove all old APs from WISM

Step4: enable radios on new WLC by using these commands:

config 802.11b enable network

config 802.11a enable network

Hope it helps.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

O

Ugh, I failed to mention the 5508 is already servicing other AP's so doing that will also disable them. The 2700's will register to this same WLC. Now, I do have another 5508 in HA mode so I wonder - can I move the existing AP's on the primary to the HA member? I think I can register AP's to the HA for up to 90 days. That sound right?

Or, the other way around... register the new AP's to the HA. I don't think it will take 90 days to get them all installed. There's about 200 altogether.

Your better off enabling Out of Office feature.

In the GUI, the feature is under Wireless | RF Profiles.  Hopefully you are running code that supports this. You would enable Out of Box and enable persistence.

-Scott 

-Scott

I'm running 8.0.133 and the feature is there. I never knew about that setting. Reading up on it looks to be exactly what I need. Thank you!!

It's either that or else you start your wlan ID at 17 or higher. This way no SSID's will be broadcasted since only 1-16 is default on the default group.  

Also with out of box, there have been some issues when you move them into an AP group later that the radios are still down. You might have to enable the radios on each AP if this happens, but you can just script that and paste that into the cli. 

-Scott 

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card