Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Dual Band Concept

i have two wlc 2504 and multiple AP 2800 registered on them my questions as follow

1) Access Points Appeared as dual-band radios , i don't what is the mean of dual band and what is the benefit of using it

2)i tried to increase transmit power for the AP in both bands (2.4 GHZ, 5 GHZ) it worked well with 5 GHZ but in 2.4 GHZ band i cann't change it appeared as dumped

3) in the attachments Access points in 2.4 GHZ band appeared in radio role column as ( 2.4 GHZ remote) , what is the remote word mean ? 

5 Replies 5

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

1) Access Points Appeared as dual-band radios , i don't what is the mean of dual band and what is the benefit of using it

Read Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) and Redundant Radios

This mean that radio can operate in both 2.4GHz and 5GHz band. But at a given time only in one band.  In addition to dedicate 2.4GHz and 5GHz radio, these 2800/3800 include additional radio which can be operate in either band (called FRA -Flexible Radio Assignment) and different role as well (servicing client, monitor mode, etc)

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide/b_cisco_aironet_series_2800_3800_access_point_deployment_guide_chapter_011.html

3) in the attachments Access points in 2.4 GHZ band appeared in radio role column as ( 2.4 GHZ remote) , what is the remote word mean ? 

Refer chapter 5 of below white paper for more details about FRA. I believe "Local" mean that radio is in client servicing mode. "remote" mean it is in monitor mode.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/technotes/8-3/b_RRM_White_Paper.pdf

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

sremk
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Mohamed,

2)i tried to increase transmit power for the AP in both bands (2.4 GHZ, 5 GHZ) it worked well with 5 GHZ but in 2.4 GHZ band i cann't change it appeared as dumped

How did you increase the power? Did we manually increased by doing ap specific or under radio profile?

The option remote might appear when the aps are in flexconnect mode. Please check the same. 

Jaime Gonzalez Gomez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Mohamed,

Regarding your question number 3)

In 8.2.x and above, FlexConnect mode APs could run FRA as well, then if the AP is in Flex and also running FRA Serving clients, Radio Role would be shown  as "remote", this is: 
- If AP is in flex, radio role would be shown as remote. 
- In AP is in local, radio role would be shown as local.

Hope it helps, also please don't forgive to rate useful answersremote

tcggg0
Level 1
Level 1

If you want to change power on the 2.4 GHz radio, you need to go to GUI, select wireless/802.11 b/g/n/select configure radio tab to the right/Set radio role assignment to "manual" and apply.  Now go back and change power to custom and enter power level. 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card