Views
Helpful
Replies

dynamic and static clients from same SSID

AECOMpete_2
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I need to support both statically and dynamically addressed clients from the same PSK SSID.

Is it possible to use an interface group with one VLAN that supports DHCP and one VLAN that does not, and expect the controller to reliably place clients on the appropriate VLAN?

Thanks,

Pete 

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I've got a better solution:  Set a DHCP with static IP address excluded from the scope.  

For instance, let's say your DHCP scope is 192.168.0.0/23.  So this means your IP address is from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.1.255.

Your tell DHCP that the start of your DHCP is from 192.168.0.1 up to 192.168.0.255 thereby leaving IP addresses from 192.168.1.0 up to 192.168.1.254 as free.

Does this make any sense?

Hi Leo,

Thanks for the suggestion. Actually the network is currently setup exactly how you describe. The problem is we're outgrowing the static portion. We support a mix of pure DHCP, DHCP reserved, and statically configured clients. I'd like to simply introduce a new /23 (with no DHCP scope) without affecting the current clients. Is this possible?

Thanks! 

I'd like to simply introduce a new /23 (with no DHCP scope) without affecting the current clients. Is this possible?

Allocate a /22 on your table but only implement /23.  If you need more, then you don't have to go very far.  

When you change the subnet you may need to restart the DHCP server.  So some clients may loose network connectivity while their IP addresses gets forcefully renewed.   Otherwise, you'll need to organize an outage time, like lunch break or after 5pm or the weekend.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card