cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Enable SSID by AP Group

southardd
Level 1
Level 1

We recently upgraded our WLC 5508 and Wism cards to an HA pair of 5520 controllers. We have a guest network that is scheduled to be kicked on after regular hours (school district - can't have the guest network on during the day), but we sometimes have a need to turn it on for special meetings. With our previous setup, we could turn the SSID on by controller, which limited which schools could see the network. With the new setup, it is currently all of nothing. We have AP groups for each of our buildings, so my question is: are we able to enable the guest network by AP group? This would allow us to turn the guest network on only in the building where it is needed. During the pre-sales discussions, we were told this was possible, but now that everything is live I can't find a way to do it. If this is possible, is there a way to change the SSID password based on AP group as well? That is not nearly as important as the ability to enable the network by AP group, but would be a nice touch. Thanks for any help you can provide. 

3 Replies 3

" are we able to enable the guest network by AP group? "

Yes , of course.

Once you go to your AP Group, then you will see  WLAN tab, where you can add/remove SSID for a given AP group.

"is there a way to change the SSID password based on AP group as well?"

No, this is not possible.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasikan and thank you for your reply. I'm aware that I can go in and add/remove an SSID from the AP group, but I thought that permanently removes that SSID from those APs. What I want is to temporarily enable an SSID on all of the APs in an AP group without any other AP broadcasting it. So let's say one of our elementary schools (school 1) needs the guest network-enabled, but we don't want it on for any other school. I want to go into the controller and say "enable guest network on ap group - school 1 only" then when our schedule kicks in later in the afternoon it would turn it on for the rest of the ap groups. Hopefully that makes more sense.

@southardd wrote:

So let's say one of our elementary schools (school 1) needs the guest network-enabled, but we don't want it on for any other school. I want to go into the controller and say "enable guest network on ap group - school 1 only" then when our schedule kicks in later in the afternoon it would turn it on for the rest of the ap groups. Hopefully that makes 

I got something simpler:  Why not create a RADIUS account with a time limit?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card