cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ethernet Cable??

lisa.hall
Level 2
Level 2

What type of Ethernet cable do I use to connect my end device to the workgroup bridge?

TIA

6 Replies 6

colin-turner
Level 1
Level 1

I use a straight-through (regular) ethernet cable (CAT5) to connect my access-point to switch or hub.

You will need to use a x-over cable if you want to connect your access-point directly to a PIX firewall or router.

I hope this helps...

Not applicable

In our network we have used CAT5 cable and it works very fine.

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

If you are going to connect an end station to a workgroup bridge without the use of a hub or switch, you will need an ethernet crossover cable.

neubalance
Level 1
Level 1

hi all:

i have an 802.11b network in my neighborhood. i have a 350 access point that picks up the signal. this 350 access point is located on my desk adjacent to my dell dimension pc. i would like to connect the 350 access point directly to my pc but cannot figure out how to do this. (i have no networking experience). as a solution, i've attached a netgear 802.11b wireless usb adapter to my pc and it's essentially serving as a way for me to "connect" the 350 to my pc, but it seems logical to me that there would be a way to connect the 350 directly to my pc without a bridge/router type thing. can somebody help me out? feel free to email me at neubalance@lycos.com.

thanks,

michael

What you are trying to do cannot be done with an access point, to connect directly to your PC you would need a workgroup bridge not an access point.

But if the AP picks up the signal have you tried removing it and trying to receive the signal directly with your 802.11b wireless usb adapter, maybe using a more powerful antenna.

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please remember one basic network connecting devices rule through cable-

Straight Thru- Connecting Devices of different layers..Eg Switch and Router

Cross Over- Connecting Devices of same layer ..Eg Switch and Switch

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: