cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Extending wireless network

brownr26
Level 1
Level 1

I have an Aironet 1240AG.  I resides inside a building with its antenna placed on the outside of the building.  In direct line of site, I have a light pole to which I could attach another wireless access point to extend my wireless network.  This access point would have to be "rugged".  Also, it would have to be able to be bridged to the current access point.  In reviewing outdoor wireless access points, it appears that the 1552 is the way to go.  Can anyone recommend which access point should be used in this scenario?

Thank you

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

In order to use any of the mesh AP's, you would need to have a WLC. Your best bet it to use the 1550's if you want 802.11n or else you can go with the 1520's which are non 802.11n. They do cost a lot, but you can get a WLC2504 for cheap since the price for these have dropped. Amazon has them for under $500.00. The mesh ap will cost you more:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you for the reply. I am inferring from your reply that I can't use the 1552 autonomously? Also, am I  correct in assuming that if i want to use a 1552 in WGB mode with my 1242AG, I would need a wireless controller? I am used to the 1242's being individually configurable. Thank you for ypur expert input.

You need a WLC in order to use the 1552. These are lightweight AP's and are not standalone like the 1242 ap you have. You woul have to get rid of the 1242, get a WLC an two 1552 AP's. one will be a root ap that has a wired connection to the network and the other a map that just needs power. There is no other way to do this.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card