cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

External antenna for pcmcia Aironet cards

ullbergm
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at buying a aironet card for my laptop. The problem is that i want to use an external antenna.

I've been looking online and it looks like that i can buy the PCI version and be able to use the pcmcia card with an external antenna.

Is this true or is there an other way to use a external antenna?

Thanks,

Magnus Ullberg

7 Replies 7

e-see
Level 1
Level 1

The PCI card is for a device with a PCI expansion slot. For a laptop, you need a PC card, which has a fixed diversity antenna.

shaun.oliver
Level 1
Level 1

You need an AIR-LMC352.

It is a PC Card with 2 MMCX connectors, rather than integrated diversity dipole antennas (as in the PCM352).

Great,

Thanks.

I was afraid that Cisco might be doing the same thing that LinkSys has done, they have gone away from doing the pc card -> pci converter card. The now have a "normal" pci card..

The PCI card is made up of a LMC card on a PCI card adapater.

You can not however remove the LMC card from this card adapter and use it as a LMC card, the reason for this is the boot block versions are different and the bootblock version used relies on logic found on the PCI card adapter. This is maninly due to the very different bus speeds of the 2 form factors PCI Vs PCMCIA

You will see very bad RF and throughput performance and doing this is NOT supported.

The correct way of doing this is use a LMC cardwhich can be ordered with the part number AIR-LMC352

dimnsion

tdennehy
Level 1
Level 1

Yes, you can use an external antenna....you can find an antenna adapter cable and antenna on ebay.

You are 100% correct for a PCI card but he needs to use a PCMCIA card for a laptop,

I also would not recommend using an antenna you buy on ebay as the FCC certification is for the system this includes the cable and antenna, if you change this then the install is responsible for the certification.

The certification is valid for any Cisco antenna that can be found at this link for the applications listed.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a0080092285.html

AIR-ANT3351 is designed for use with the LMC card

This is a great link for understanding Antenna

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps469/products_data_sheet09186a008008883b.html

It has a great section with some information on regulations

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card