cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

External antenna option when in Access Point mode

06301900J
Level 1
Level 1

I'm after an Access Point model with the following characteristics/features: standalone AP, no integrated antenna, external antenna option for connecting omnidirectional antenna. Please note that the mode I'm trying to put AP in is Access Mode and not Bridging mode. This setup is for a camp of around 20 users who suggest to use their laptops in their rooms to connect. Attached is basic diagram

5 Replies 5

abwahid
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

Cisco Aironet 1600 Series is good for your case.

Go through below link for further detail.

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-1600-series/data_sheet_c78-715702.html

Thanks abwahid for the reply. Here are some external factors which I forgot to include in my first post:

There is an existing wireless signal in the area in the sense of Cisco APs in the Root Bridge/Workgroup bridge mode which are normally setup as point to point (directional) wireless connections for connecting other small offices and buildings (still within the vicinity of the camp area) to the company ethernet network.

Turning to the dimensions of camp rooms: each is floor level based, 3m height from floor to ceiling,with corrugated iron roof sheets. If I were to conveniently place the external antenna, lets say in the centre of the camp area and slightly higher than the roofs, to be received efficiently by users, my question now is would it be feasible to setup Cisco 1600 series if provided with these conditions?

We need to do a site survey first to identify the location of  the AP and the antenna. In your case external antenna is the option.

If you are planning to put the access point in outdoor, just have a look on the outdoor AP's

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

AIR-ANT2544V4M-R=

Omnidirectional, 4 port (all ports dual band)

Indoor/outdoor wall or mast mounted dual band omnidirectional antenna with four plenum rated, 36 inch cables and RP-TNC connectors. Designed for use with access points having dual band ports such as 1600, 2600 or 3600.

2.4 GHz: 4 dBi

5 GHz: 4 dBi

AIR-ANT2566P4W-R=

Patch, 4 port (all ports dual band))

Indoor/outdoor wall mounted dual band patch antenna with four plenum rated, 36 inch cables and RP-TNC connectors. Designed for use with access points having dual band ports such as 1600, 2600 or 3600.

2.4 GHz: 6 dBi

5 GHz: 6 dBi

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Please refer to the datasheet-

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card