cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Guest wireless is down, which other is up

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi, Guest wireless is down, while other are up. Please see attached picture, which show Guest wireless is down without internet access. The WLC: 5500 and AP: AIR-CAP3602I-A-K9. Anyone has some suggestion? Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Perfect. Actually, the Cisco WLCs support only HTTP redirection  by default. Thus, if the browser opens a HTTPS URL , it would not be redirected to the login portal.

In your case, it seems that you are using Web passthrough where the client just have to Accept the agreement to move forward. There is nothing special about cnn.com. You can use any HTTP URL or you can set the home page to any HTTP URL.

If this answered your question, please select this as the answer for others to benefit.

Cheers,

Manish

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Hi

This can be two thing. Either you did not authenticated on the guest portal or you did but you have no internet connection on the WLC.

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Are the guest wireless client able to get a valid IP address or not? From the looks of the screenshot, I think they aren't.

if entering ipconfig in PC, it can show ip address. 

And the IP address isn't 169.X.X.X, right?

Can you please run the following commands on the client ?

netsh wlan show interfaces  (To verify that you are connected to the SSID)

ipconfig /all (To verify that you have a VALID IP address, default gateway and DNS servers assigned)

nslookup google.com  (To verify that your DNS server is working fine)

Make sure that you can ping 4.2.2.2 from the WLC. If all of this is good, please try to open http://cnn.com (or any other http URL) on the browser . This should redirect you to the login page. The issue can be isolated depending on which stage u fail.

Cheers,

Manish

and moreover , if you pass all the steps till authenticating on the login page and still you can not reach internet , please make sure that there is no ACL configured on the WLC which may block the traffic from the guest client subnet.

Cheers,

Manish

Hi Manish, So great! After browser cnn.com and click Accept, everything began to work. I wonder why I have to browser cnn.com? how to associate cnn.com with the Accept? 

Perfect. Actually, the Cisco WLCs support only HTTP redirection  by default. Thus, if the browser opens a HTTPS URL , it would not be redirected to the login portal.

In your case, it seems that you are using Web passthrough where the client just have to Accept the agreement to move forward. There is nothing special about cnn.com. You can use any HTTP URL or you can set the home page to any HTTP URL.

If this answered your question, please select this as the answer for others to benefit.

Cheers,

Manish

Fantastic and magic. Thank you so much!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card