Views
Helpful
Replies

HA betewwn two wlc

csco11030279
Level 1
Level 1

Hi .
I hace 24 wlc 5508 with 250 license for each. I m planning to get 3new 8500 wlc as back up. Can I mix between two siffetent model. And what is the license coubt for the 8500 wlcs. Cab I order HA 8500 .

Sent from Cisco Technical Support Android App

5 Replies 5

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Can you please mention the WLC verion for me to answer your query.

Saurav Lodh
Level 7
Level 7

Please refer to the below points esp. highlighted sections ( taken from link posted by Leo ) , it completely answers your query:

Configure one WLC as Primary (by default, the WLC HA Unit ID is Primary and should have a valid AP-BASE count license installed) and another WLC as Secondary (AP base count from the Primary WLC will be inherited by this unit) using the CLI in this step. In this example, WLC 1 is configured as Primary, and WLC 2 is configured as Secondary:

You do not need to configure the unit as Secondary if it is a factory ordered HA SKU that can be ordered from release 7.3 onwards. A factory ordered HA SKU is a default Secondary unit, and will take the role of the Standby WLC the first time it is paired with an Active WLC that has a valid AP Count License.

If you want to convert any existing WLC as a Standby WLC, do so using the config redundancy unit secondary command in the CLI. This CLI command will only work if the WLC which is intended to work as Standby has some number of permanent license count. This condition is only valid for the 5500 WLC, where a minimum of 50 AP Permanent licenses are needed to be converted to Standby. There is no restriction for other WLCs such as the WiSM2, 7500, and 8500.

Configure one WLC as Primary (by default, the WLC HA Unit ID is Primary and should have a valid AP-BASE count license installed) and another WLC as Secondary (AP base count from the Primary WLC will be inherited by this unit) using the CLI in this step. In this example, WLC 1 is configured as Primary, and WLC 2 is configured as Secondary:

You do not need to configure the unit as Secondary if it is a factory ordered HA SKU that can be ordered from release 7.3 onwards. A factory ordered HA SKU is a default Secondary unit, and will take the role of the Standby WLC the first time it is paired with an Active WLC that has a valid AP Count License.

If you want to convert any existing WLC as a Standby WLC, do so using the config redundancy unit secondary command in the CLI. This CLI command will only work if the WLC which is intended to work as Standby has some number of permanent license count. This condition is only valid for the 5500 WLC, where a minimum of 50 AP Permanent licenses are needed to be converted to Standby. There is no restriction for other WLCs such as the WiSM2, 7500, and 8500.

For this case to convert a  WLC standalone to a WLC in HA, anyone know what is the process that has to be done? or only with the commands to "config redundancy unit secondary".

thanks

manjeets
Level 3
Level 3

No. The primary and standby controller both need to belong to the same product family (for example, the5508) and be running the same software version. You can have a different controller model be the N+1 backup controller to the primary. For example, a Cisco 8500 Series controller can act as the N+1 controller to multiple Cisco 5500 Series controllers in the branch offices.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card