Views
Helpful
Replies

HA license question

h.theisen
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I hope you guys could help me to answer that one....

I've 2x 5508 running 7.4 with the 50AP base licenses installed on each WLC.

If I setup HA AP SSO on this two WLCs is it possible to rehost the 50 licenses from the standby controller so I've 100 licenses on the main one.

If that is possible could you please tell me how or link me to a solution as I'm not able to find it.

Thanks a lot !!!

Greetings,

Ron

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only if the AP was an adder license. Base license you can't rehost.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ron,

Here is the info

Q. I already have a spare controller. Can I convert that controller to the standby controller?

A. Yes. Customers need to upgrade their controller software to Release  7.3. They can then convert the spare to a standby controller using the  command line interface or GUI.

It  is important to note that on the 5508, the controller needs to have at  least 50 access point licenses or more in order to be able to convert  the controller to the standby controller for the wireless LAN.

Q. Can I transfer the licenses from the spare Controller to another Controller?

A. The following link provides information on how to transfer "Adder" licenses from one Wireless LAN Controllers to other: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70ccfg.html#wp1880270

It is not possible to transfer the base licenses (that come installed along with the purchase of the Controller) to the other

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps10315/qa_c67-714540.html

Cheers!

Rob

EDIT: +5 to my buddy Scott for his great info & for squashing my horrid

typing skills

"What you don't have you don't need it now" 

- U2

rdvorak
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot Scott & Rob,

I'll give it a try and keep you posted if I run into issues.... beside all the bugs that are already documented it the release notes :-)

Greetings,

Ron

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Only if the AP was an adder license. Base license you can't rehost.

-Scott

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Keep us posted with any issues you run into with HA

-Scott

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Ron,

Here is the info

Q. I already have a spare controller. Can I convert that controller to the standby controller?

A. Yes. Customers need to upgrade their controller software to Release  7.3. They can then convert the spare to a standby controller using the  command line interface or GUI.

It  is important to note that on the 5508, the controller needs to have at  least 50 access point licenses or more in order to be able to convert  the controller to the standby controller for the wireless LAN.

Q. Can I transfer the licenses from the spare Controller to another Controller?

A. The following link provides information on how to transfer "Adder" licenses from one Wireless LAN Controllers to other: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.0/configuration/guide/c70ccfg.html#wp1880270

It is not possible to transfer the base licenses (that come installed along with the purchase of the Controller) to the other

From this doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps6302/ps8322/ps10315/qa_c67-714540.html

Cheers!

Rob

EDIT: +5 to my buddy Scott for his great info & for squashing my horrid

typing skills

"What you don't have you don't need it now" 

- U2

rdvorak
Level 1
Level 1

Thanks a lot Scott & Rob,

I'll give it a try and keep you posted if I run into issues.... beside all the bugs that are already documented it the release notes :-)

Greetings,

Ron

I'm going to have to wish you luck on this. Please do keep us posted with any issues you run into.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card