cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Help backing up 2504 WLC files to tftp server

Clay Plaga
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 2504 and a 5508 controller that I am using for my certifications. I am trying to backup the files on the 2504 to a tftp server. The tftp server is running on a laptop that is connected to the network. I can ping from the laptop to the 2504 WLC. When I run show boot from putty, it shows me the primary boot image and the backup boot image. What is the command to see all the files on the 2504 WLC? I just started my studies, so I will try to understand your instructions.

Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Askervgs77
Level 1
Level 1

Let’s Start from CLI mode: –
1. Open WLC in CLI mode and type Credentials: –
2. Type below commands step by step: –

WLC >transfer upload mode tftp
WLC >transfer upload datatype config
WLC >transfer upload filename wlc-backup-17-07-2017
WLC >transfer upload path .
WLC >transfer upload serverip 192.168.200.68
WLC >transfer upload start

Mode……………………………………… TFTP
TFTP Server IP…………………………….. 192.168.200.68
TFTP Path…………………………………. ./
TFTP Filename……………………………… wlc-backup-2017-07-17
Data Type…………………………………. Config File
Encryption………………………………… Disabled
*** WARNING: Config File Encryption Disabled ***
Are you sure you want to start? (y/N) y
TFTP Config transfer starting.
########

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- You can't see all files on a controller which runs AireOS , just backup the config which can be done from the GUI and or CLI (too I think).

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

Thank you for your assistance. Yes, I was able to transfer the configuration file from the 2504 to the tftp server. On the 2504, it looked like the system added the configuration file automatically in the file name field.

This is the file that was transferred:

AIR-CT2500-K9-8-3-143-0.aes 

What file is this? The controller says it is configuration. I know aes is advanced encryption system. I also wanted to backup the IOS file of the 2504 controller. How would I backup the IOS file of the controller?

On the 5508, the file name field is blank. What is the name of the file I need to enter? I have include a screen shot.

Thank you. 

5508 tftp.png

AIR-CT2500-K9-8-3-143-0.aes  ; That is an image not the configuration. Make sure to use File Type configuration when  you Upload the configuration from the controller (Upload is sometimes confusing here , as  a name - some would call it download). To avoid confusion choose a destination file name in the File Name field such as Myconfig , examine the 'uploaded' file afterwards and make sure it is a configuration file.

M.

-- ' 'Good body every evening' ' this sentence was once spotted on a logo at the entrance of a Weight Watchers Club !

On the 2504, it copied a file with the aes extension . On the 5508, it copied something else. Is this correct? See the screen shot.

Thanks again.

5508 xfer.png

= The 5508 copy operation worked correct and that is a config file. Make the correct File Type is used on the 2504. I am convinced it is a simple error. 

M.

Thank you.

That file is the image for the controller.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

So your saying that the file I was able to copy to the tftp server was a WLC configuration file. This is what is confusing me. On a Cisco WLC, is the configuration that I make on the WLC and the IOS configuration file of the WLC, two different things. Does the WLC take the configuration that I make, and merge it with the IOS configuration file that runs the WLC itself? As you can see, I'm just not understanding something about this.

Thank you.

There is no IOS configuration. There is only one config in AireOS which you have. So when you backup your config, you can open it up in a text editor to view it.
-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thank you again. What I was really asking was this. Are Cisco image files and configuration files, which contain the WLC settings that an administrator has configured, the same thing?

Askervgs77
Level 1
Level 1

Let’s Start from CLI mode: –
1. Open WLC in CLI mode and type Credentials: –
2. Type below commands step by step: –

WLC >transfer upload mode tftp
WLC >transfer upload datatype config
WLC >transfer upload filename wlc-backup-17-07-2017
WLC >transfer upload path .
WLC >transfer upload serverip 192.168.200.68
WLC >transfer upload start

Mode……………………………………… TFTP
TFTP Server IP…………………………….. 192.168.200.68
TFTP Path…………………………………. ./
TFTP Filename……………………………… wlc-backup-2017-07-17
Data Type…………………………………. Config File
Encryption………………………………… Disabled
*** WARNING: Config File Encryption Disabled ***
Are you sure you want to start? (y/N) y
TFTP Config transfer starting.
########

Thank you for the information. All the commands worked. I was able to copy the configuration file to the tftp server.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card