Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

HIgh AP Channel Utilization Cisco 5508

Hey there gang, I have this production environment with about 300+ APs all terminating on the same 5508 controller version. 8.0.120

there are multiple buildings and predominately I do care about one building which has about 200+ APs across 10 floors.

In specifics in one floor I have 28 APs this is a highly utilized environment, with over 450+ connections at any given time.

The 5.0 spectrum works fine as expected more channels and Channel utilization is minimal and the data throughput varies anywhere between 60-100Mbps up down.

The 2.4 spectrum is a nightmare, AP Channel utilization on average is about 70 and in some cases higher %.  Data throughput as a result of that is crawling, I have disabled lower data rates,  have band select and aggressive load balancing enabled.  RRM is running every ten minutes and I do not like that, also I noticed on Prime that RRM is not assigning channels the most efficient way, now mind you i know there are too many APs and too little channels only 3 on the 2.4 spectrum and interference will exist no matter what, but i suspect RRM is not doing its job as it should and hence Channel utilization is super high and very poor performance.

Before I start shutting down some of the 2.4 Radios anyone has any suggestions? I would sincerely appreciate some help here. possibly some best practices

Thank you

2 Replies 2

If you  have enabled 2.4GHz on all those 28 APs, then you have to disable most of the Radio's first (at least 20+)

RRM is running every ten minutes and I do not like that, also I noticed on Prime that RRM is not assigning channels the most efficient way

If you notice channel changes are happening frequently, then you can increase this value (ie 8 hr or 12 hr interval). Enable ED-RRM so AP can change a channel based on an event rather taking whole RF environment into calculation

HTH

Rasika

Do you guys believe if I implement most if not all of the changes outlined on this PDF which I am attaching will decrease the channel utilization on the 2.4 Spectrum?  Thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: