cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

High Availability (AP SSO) 5508 WLC Licensing

da.newman
Level 1
Level 1

I'm looking at installing a second WLC 5508 ina HA pair with our current controller. I've read through the Cisco High Availability (AP SSO) Deployment Guide and based on the guide you don't require a special HA license, just WLC software version 7.3 and above to run two WLC's in a HA setup?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10315/products_tech_note09186a0080bd3504.shtml#combo1

19 Replies 19

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You either need the WLC HA sku controller or a WLC5508 with 50 AP license or more to run HA AP SSO. v7.4.100.60 was the recommended code for HA. v7.5 just came out, so that would be risky.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott

Sorry for hijacking this thread.

Quick question regarding the HA licensing:

I understand that you need a HA or 50 AP license for the backup controller; but do you need a minimum of 50 AP on the primary controller as well?

Cheers

Chris

I am also interested in this questions as i am having trouble with cisco sales to get me a proper answer.. my scenario is as follows. One 5508 with 25 licenses, another with 12.

I want to Upgrade first one in order to manage all our AP's (~40) then convert the 5508 with the 12 licenses to HA.

what licenses do i need? I was plannign on upgrading them to 7.4 before i do all this. is there a -HA SKU license? we cannot find any mention of it.

thanks

There is a HA SKU, but it is hardware not an upgradeable licese.

To do HA on already purchased hardware, you need to have 50 AP licenses on them.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Thanks            

So in other words either i buy a new 5508 with HA SKU, or upgrade one of my current ones to 50 ap licenses min.

I did upgrade to 7.4 HA on my 5508 with 25 lic. It works. I will migrate my secondary WLC 25 lic into the primary to make it total 50 lic, then use eval to do HA-SSO.

Dear Scott,

Can i have two 5508 WLC with 50 base license, do AP SSO and aggregate the license to 100?

Thanks

Imad

Hello Experts,

Even I have the similar query.

I have 2 x 5508 standalone WLC's with 50 AP Licenses each.

Now when I convert to an HA Pair will the total AP License count be 100 or 50?

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Kevin

Same question....100 or 50?

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Yes, you need to buy a new 5508 with HA SKU or else upgrade the licences.

Sorry i was not clear the first time, i only need 50 licenses on one of the 5508's right? not both.

That is correct.

Abha Jha
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

N+1 High Availability Overview

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_HA_Overview.html

With Release 7.4, an  HA-SKU secondary controller can be configured as a backup controller for  N+1 HA. For example, the following can be used as an HA-SKU controller:

5508 Series Standalone controller with 50 AP license

but once primary controller fails and all the AP on primary controller gets register on to the HA-SKU secndary WLC till 90 days it works okay but after 90 days you get the warning message that license are not sufficient to serve AP's

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/Licensing.html#wp1054850 - license error

bcho
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Abha Jha,

On your last paragraph, you indicated that you'll get an error on the HA-SKU once the APs migrate over from the primary controller about 90 days evaluation expiring message.  I too am seeing this error.  Is this something I need to worry about or is it safe to ignore?  I was under the impression that the license from primary controller gets adopted by the HA unit once a failover occurred.

The backup 5508 we are using is indeed an HA-SKU but I have activated the eval license before configuring HA as I didn't have the primary controller at the time and I was playing with AP registration on this controller.  Is the error because I have activated the eval license?  If I didn't activate the eval license and configured HA, I wouldn't see this error?

Regards,

Byung

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card