Views
Helpful
Replies

High RF index from WLC config analyser

euanetwork
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have run config analyzer mostly for audit purpose and i have seen the below result after running an RF analysis (see below).

I understood that above 900 the RF index could indicate an issue. Is it relevant ? If my asumption is right, where should I be looking next ?

Thx.

fyi, those APs belong to the same office.

When I increase the weight to 20 for Add Nearby AP on same channel if signal is greater than it doubles the index :

cheers

- Xavier -

3 Replies 3

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well.... it really depends on how dense your environment is.... like they state, there is no certain number to go by.  On the 2.4ghz with many AP's and maybe multiple floors, you will always see channel overlap.  Adding 20 to nearby AP's, of course will increase the RF index.  I have seen numbers in the 1000's with default setting and the environment still works fine.  Use this as a tool to gauge your environment, but isn't a tool to say your environment is bad per say.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thx Scott.

increasing weight was for me a way to emphasize the cause of such high RF index. Local IT staff reports "poor wireless access" so i'm trying to find out where it can come from. For now i don't have very much information. I'm expecting more details.

When you speak about density, do you mean density of our APs + rogues ?

rgds

- Xavier -

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One other thing, if you have cleanair ap's and have cleanair enabled, you could also see the rf index from the wlc.  That will give you a rating.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card