cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can I configure MAC association filtering on PSK WLAN with Cisco 2504 WLC?

Sam Brynes
Level 1
Level 1

We have a Cisco 2504 WLC with a pre-shared key WLAN. How can I configure a MAC address list to define which stations can associate? I want still want to require that everyone have the correct PSK, but they also have to be on the list to associate.

I'm not sure if the MAC address filtering feature in the WLC allows clients to bypass authentication completely, or if I can use it in conjunction with the PSK?

Also, why does the "config macfilter" command ask you for an interface name? Isn't a WLAN bound to an interface in the WLAN config already?

(Cisco Controller) > config macfilter add 0123.abcd.0123 2 ?

<interface> Enter interface name. Enter 0 (zero) for none.

(Cisco Controller) > config macfilter add 0123.abcd.0123 2 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Mac filter and PSK works fine and one does not replace the other.  You can create a mac filter on the SECURITY tab and then in Mac Filter on the left hand side. 

The interface parameter is optional, it will work anyway. Use the web interface which is easier just to make sure things are working as intended then create a script to run on CLI. 

-If I helped you somehow, please, rate it as useful.-

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hi,

Mac filter and PSK works fine and one does not replace the other.  You can create a mac filter on the SECURITY tab and then in Mac Filter on the left hand side. 

The interface parameter is optional, it will work anyway. Use the web interface which is easier just to make sure things are working as intended then create a script to run on CLI. 

Thanks. Dumb question: does MAC filtering deny or allow the user?

Hi

It allows clients to join. 

You can deny but it would be client exclusion.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: