cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How can i setup and config a cisco AIR-AP3802i-B-K9 to my home network

AdamParker99111
Level 1
Level 1

Was just wondering if i could use a cisco air-ap3802i-B-K9 on my home network and if yes how to do it . Thanks in advance!

14 Replies 14

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This works for a cisco air-ap3802i-b-k9 model??

yes the steps given will work with a 3802i model AP.

Start at step in the link given: https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/access_point/mob_exp/1/user_guide/b_ME_User_Guide/getg_start.html#task_7588F4C009744AEFBB9EB754A713E390

- checking if an AP has CAPWAP Lightweight AP Software or Cisco Mobility Express Software

if the AP does not have the software on it you will need to download it from Cisco.com which will require a support contract normally.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

How do i check to see if my AP has that software?

please share a show version from the AP CLI

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Not sure what a show version from the AP CLI is, I dont do this for a living so Im in the dark on all this

if you connect a console cable to the console port of the AP you will be able to login with Cisco/Cisco and then type show version and paste the output

I don't have a console cable

Normally the 3802 APs come as lightweight APs requiring a wireless lan controller to get up and running. You need to convert them to Mobility Express, which will require a console cable.

The other option is to run a DHCP server connect the AP to the network, look on the DHCP server what IP it gets and you might be able to SSH to that AP.

Otherwise you will need to purchase or borrow a console cable to connect to the AP to configure it. Dependant on your laptop you might need a converter to connect it to a USB port (USB to Serial convertor) or a USB-C console cable.

Might be easier if you have a network team at work to speak to them to borrow one. 

Can you please tell me how to convert my AP , step by step if possible i am not familiar with this type of stuff. PM if possible thanks

@AdamParker99111 wrote:
Can you please tell me how to convert my AP , step by step if possible i am not familiar with this type of stuff. PM if possible thanks

Did you see Balaji's response?  It is a step-by-step instruction on how to convert the AP to Mobility Express.  

Yeah i saw his response but when i click on it , it says this would work on cisco 1850 or 1830 series AP. Mine is 3802i series so I'm not sure it will work on mine. Please help

The procedure is the same, so kindly follow and let us know how it goes.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

This is way over my head but thanks for all your help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: