Views
Helpful
Replies

How should this be configured?

douglas-danco
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am in the process of setting up a wireless connection for a wireless camera.

This is how I would like it done.

I am thinking the far left Bridge (AP 1231G) is a root bridge.  The center bridge (AP1242AG) I was thinking of making it a non-root bridge with wireless clients and of course the camera on the right is a client.  Does this sound right?  The same SSID between the two AP's right?

starcamnew.jpg

4 Replies 4

Carlos Leiton
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Douglas,

If you allow me to give you an advice, you can establish the bridge link with between the AP1231G and the AP1242AG using the 2.4Ghz radio, configured as root and non root only (without wireless clients) and use the second radio (5Ghz) of the AP1242AG and put it to work as a root access point for the wireless camera exclusivley, this way you don't "share" the 2.4 Ghz radio of the AP1242AG between the root bridge and the wireless camera.

If the wireless camera does not work on the 5Ghz frequency, then there will be no option to use the AP1242AG as a non-root with wireless clients, but you will have to understand this deployment will provide you less throughput than the first one.

I hope this helps.

Hmmm.  I don't think the camera supports 5Ghz unfortunately. 

So I am a bit confused by your statement here:  (Was it a typo?)

"If the wireless camera does not work on the 5Ghz frequency, then there will be no option to use the AP1242AG as a non-root with wireless clients, but you will have to understand this deployment will provide you less throughput than the first one." 

Did you mean only option?  Sorry just confused.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Well your root is only 2.4ghz so the connection from the root to the non root has to be 2.4ghz. If that is how you will be bridging, then you can't use the 2.4ghz for client connection you are only able to configure the 5ghz for client connection. Makes sense?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Yep.  Basically it won't work unless the Camera could accept a 5Ghz signal.  Shucks.  Ok.  Thanks for everyones input.

Have a great day.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card