cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to choose band 2.4 and 5

wfqk
Level 5
Level 5

Hi Do we have a way to configure AP/wlc to let user pc choose 2.4 band first, if there are higher traffic there, user pc can directly choose band 5 or vice versa? Thank you

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is pure depends on end device support. PC has capabilites to connect 2.4 or 5Ghz ? you need to setup manually. by default is set a Auto. i belive some chip set allow you to choose 2.4 or 5, but i do see your requirement different.

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

View solution in original post

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@wfqk wrote:

Hi Do we have a way to configure AP/wlc to let user pc choose 2.4 band first, 

The wireless clients (and not the AP) makes the final decision on which band/radio to choose.  This so-called decision can be further complicated with the wireless NIC version being loaded.  For example, early versions of the Intel 7260 renders the wireless NIC to only join only to one AP.  Once the drivers are updated the wireless NIC can pick-and-choose the AP based on several logical factors.  

@wfqk wrote:

if there are higher traffic there, user pc can directly choose band 5 or vice versa?

Take a look at the wireless "environment".  No one recommends using 2.4 Ghz as a first-, second- or even third option.  2.4 Ghz is so congested that in a majority of cases it is best to turn (some) 2.4 radios off.  Cisco is even marketing a feature called Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) as recognition of this.  Modern smartphones and tablets will pick 5.0 Ghz and there's a reason for that.  

If you want clients (not wireless clients) to have good user experience in wireless, don't micro-manage:  Leave stuff like this in default and let technology do their work.  

Your laptop will make decisions to roam based on the wireless card inside it. It could be signal strength or SNR. 

If there isn't 5 GHz in its roam requirements it might decide to roam over to 2.4 GHz as it sees the RF as a better choice on that band.

That being said if the cell overlap is correct it should stay 5 GHz dependent on chip set and driver.

Whilst 2.4 will generally propagate further you have to also consider the limited non overlapping channels, as WiFi is a shared medium thing of it as a hub, only one device can talk at one time on the same channel, this can lead to more re-transmits or slower speeds. This is why I recommend looking at 5GHz first. I have seen many places where 2.4 and 5Ghz coverage is the same, but the device performs heaps better on the 5GHz band

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

9 Replies 9

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is pure depends on end device support. PC has capabilites to connect 2.4 or 5Ghz ? you need to setup manually. by default is set a Auto. i belive some chip set allow you to choose 2.4 or 5, but i do see your requirement different.

BB

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

@wfqk wrote:

Hi Do we have a way to configure AP/wlc to let user pc choose 2.4 band first, 

The wireless clients (and not the AP) makes the final decision on which band/radio to choose.  This so-called decision can be further complicated with the wireless NIC version being loaded.  For example, early versions of the Intel 7260 renders the wireless NIC to only join only to one AP.  Once the drivers are updated the wireless NIC can pick-and-choose the AP based on several logical factors.  

@wfqk wrote:

if there are higher traffic there, user pc can directly choose band 5 or vice versa?

Take a look at the wireless "environment".  No one recommends using 2.4 Ghz as a first-, second- or even third option.  2.4 Ghz is so congested that in a majority of cases it is best to turn (some) 2.4 radios off.  Cisco is even marketing a feature called Flexible Radio Assignment (FRA) as recognition of this.  Modern smartphones and tablets will pick 5.0 Ghz and there's a reason for that.  

If you want clients (not wireless clients) to have good user experience in wireless, don't micro-manage:  Leave stuff like this in default and let technology do their work.  

Haydn Andrews
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Why would you want the client to use 2.4 first?

The 2.4 band has limitations - only 3 non overlapping channels, lots of non WiFi interferes I would be recommending going the other way an using band select to push the clients to 5GHz.

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

Why would you want the client to use 2.4 first?

when we know how to enable its higher priority, we can know how to enable its lower priority. and 2.4 still has some advantage such as travel further and have more ability to penetrate. i am curious why my pc's wireless connection change from 5 to 2.4 when i carry the pc from one end of building to other in which we installed 3602

Your laptop will make decisions to roam based on the wireless card inside it. It could be signal strength or SNR. 

If there isn't 5 GHz in its roam requirements it might decide to roam over to 2.4 GHz as it sees the RF as a better choice on that band.

That being said if the cell overlap is correct it should stay 5 GHz dependent on chip set and driver.

Whilst 2.4 will generally propagate further you have to also consider the limited non overlapping channels, as WiFi is a shared medium thing of it as a hub, only one device can talk at one time on the same channel, this can lead to more re-transmits or slower speeds. This is why I recommend looking at 5GHz first. I have seen many places where 2.4 and 5Ghz coverage is the same, but the device performs heaps better on the 5GHz band

From WLC4408, how to disable 2.4? Thank you

On WLC 5508 i go below steps :

WLAN -->  WLANS >>- Click on your WLANID

in Ganeral TAB Select Radioi Policy >> from ALL to (802.11a operates at a maximum of 54Mbps, only in the 5GHz bands)

BB

in Ganeral TAB Select Radioi Policy >> from ALL to

which one do i need to choose for 5MHz ? it has a only, a/g only, and g only. which is for 5MHz? 

if you looking for 5, then it should be 5 as suggested on other post.

BB

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: