Highlighted
Beginner

how to choose right AP model for customer

how to choose right AP model for customer

2 REPLIES
Rising star

Re: how to choose right AP model for customer

Tay Zar,

Please refer here for Cisco AP model comparisons.

Access Points - Compare Series - Cisco

I hope this helps.
Kelli Glass

Moderator for Cisco Customer Communities

Enthusiast

Re: how to choose right AP model for customer

Hi Tay,

As Kelli says prefer tot the compare series for exact details on each of the different AP models and their data sheets.

When I am recommending an Access Point for a customer (Be it Cisco or other vendors) the things that I first determine are:

• What is the wireless network going to be used for? For example, voice, video, high density, high bandwidth applications and the number of expected clients for each area.
  • Does the customer already have a preferred AP model
  • What Controller infrastructure do they already have in place, and will it support the recommended APs (even with a code upgrade. If a code  upgrade is required will existing APs still be supported)
  • What is the customers life cycle expectancy (no point installing APs that are close to EOL to have to upgrade them in a years time)
  • What are the clients connecting to the APs (Laptops, phones, tablets etc) and are there any constraints on their compatibility with different standards (2.4Ghz only, WPA PSK only etc)
  • Very important question is what is the expected budget

I then look at the different data sheets for APs that will meet the needs of the customer, and conduct a predictive / hybrid site survey for the client (very important step) and if the coverage/ capacity is the same between different models that meet the requirements, then I give them a BOM with each model along with why I would choose one over the other.

CreatePlease to create content
Ask the Expert- Webex Hybrid Services Solutions